Weir is Welcomed to WA

Weir+poses+for+a+photo+in+his+classroom.+

Weir poses for a photo in his classroom.

This school year, Westford Academy has welcomed another member into its staff: David Weir, a physics, chemistry, and engineering teacher, is now a part of the WA community.

Weir, who has been teaching for 33 years in Minnesota and New Hampshire, believes his mother’s job as a teacher influenced his career choice. However, it was in high school that he discovered his path in the field of science. A naturally curious and inquisitive person, Weir found himself most inspired by his high school physics teacher in Minnesota.

In the classroom, Weir uses traditional instruction such as notes and PowerPoints but is sure to include hands-on activities, because he thinks that “direct instruction gets very boring… I feel for the kids.” He enjoys watching the students initiate experiments and working with them to better understand the subject as well as encourage them to do more.

Weir has considered getting involved with STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) activities at Westford Academy, and possibly starting a STEM club of his own if students are interested. He also looks forward to collaborating with the teacher community, which he thinks is excellent — particularly his fellow physics teachers, whom he notes are surprisingly like him.

Like many newcomers to WA, Weir thinks that the rotating block schedule and the fact that he has to constantly move rooms is difficult for him, although he understand its importance.

In his short time at Westford Academy, Weir has been struck by the positive attitude of the students.

“I like that the kids are academically motivated. It has a culture of academia, which is good,” he said. “I feel honored to be here.”