WA annihilates Bedford 10-0

Ghosts+huddle+up+in+the+outfield+after+the+game.+
Katie McDermott
Ghosts huddle up in the outfield after the game.

Westford Academy Baseball increased their season record to 10-1 after mercying Bedford on Friday, May 4 by a score of 10-0.

The Ghosts struggled to get going offensively for the first four innings of this game, but as always they were able to count on their unmatched pitching and defense to hold Bedford.

The first two innings defensively for WA were 1-2-3 innings. Between senior captain Nic Bonica’s pitching and his reliable infield, Bedford could not find any gaps.

However, WA could not get the bats going in the first two innings either. There were a few walks throughout the first two innings, but any contact with the ball was no more than a ground out or a fly out.

“Hitting is something the kids know they have to do daily. It is like a daily repetition, you can not go a week without hitting a baseball it just throws you so far behind,” head coach Mike Parent said. “It is a work in progress and each day we try to get better and better and they have so far.”

The next two innings looked very similar with WA’s defense only letting up a single from Bedford, but quickly getting three outs to hold them. WA tried to pick up their offense in the bottom of the third inning with a single from Bonica, but that was not enough to get the ghosts on a roll.

It was the bottom of the fourth inning when the ghosts started to pick up their offense. This started off with senior captain James McDermott singling on a line drive to left field. This was followed by senior Alex Metznik advancing to first after getting hit by the pitch which also advanced McDermott to second. The bases were then loaded after junior Evan Pasters got walked.

Even though the three Ghosts were ready to score, the next three batters struck out so the fourth inning ended with no runs on the board.

Bonica was responsible for WA’s third 1-2-3 inning by pitching two strikeouts and catching a pop fly.

The bottom of the fifth inning is when the ghosts annihilated Bedford starting off with two singles in a row from Bonica and senior captain Tyler Frazee. Senior captain Jake Cullen then followed with a fielder’s choice to bring home Bonica.

“We took Bedford lightly going into the game and they battled until the fifth inning,” Bonica said. “It was our third time around the lineup and we figured out the pitcher, and started making good contact.”

Bedford switched their pitcher, but after a passed ball from the Bedford catcher, Frazee scored quickly followed by McDermott getting walked and Cullen advancing to second.

Ghosts continued to roll with a single from Metznick advancing McDermott and scoring Cullen. Followed by Pasters doubling on a line drive to left field scoring McDermott and Metznick.

WA continued to advance with a single from senior Justin Davighi, a walk from junior JJ Funaro, senior Shane Clark getting hit by the pitch, Frazee driving in Funaro, and McDermott singling on a line drive to center field driving in Frazee.

The game came to a close after Metznick singled and an error from Bedford allowed Cullen to score. The ghosts lined it up after the fifth inning with a final score of 10-0.

“I think we can do a better job of getting started earlier, but overall we just need to continue to do what we are doing,” McDermott said.

The Ghosts’ next matchup is at 4 p.m. on Monday, May 6 away against Concord-Carlisle.