WA Ghostwriter statement on anti-Asian racism and violence

The Ghostwriter

As the surge of hate crimes towards the Asian American Pacific Islander communities and injustices towards people of color continue to rise, we need to take a step back and educate ourselves. We desperately need to spread awareness and make a change. The reasons that lie beneath these hate crimes are what really is the issue – racism and white supremacy. We faced a global pandemic this past year yet feel the need to place the blame on others. There will never be a justification for violence, hate, or racism in our community. Please understand that the WA Ghostwriter community is also here to support those part of the AAPI/BIPOC communities. As a student-run publication, we will continue to use our platform to speak our truth and help others voice theirs. The WA Ghostwriter stands in solidarity. 

Want to get involved?

There will be a peaceful Anti-Asian Hate protest today, Sunday, March 21, 2021, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Boston Road and Littleton Road Crossing, Westford MA 01886 (The crossing nearby Westford Market).

Below are links to help further educate yourself on the rise in Asian hate crimes:

We are enough | Asian-American Racism Column

What you can do to fight violence and racism against Asian Americans | PBS News

The long, ugly history of anti-Asian racism and violence in the U.S. | Washington Post

Stop Asian Hate: Together, We Can Make a Difference | GoFundMe.org

How are the Atlanta spa shootings NOT a hate crime? | CNN

Asian-Americans Are Being Attacked. Why Are Hate Crime Charges So Rare? | New York Times