WA Girls’ Varsity Hockey Team wins 1-0 in intense game against Tewksbury

Natalie Bearfield
The WA Ghosts huddle up at the start of the game.

WA Girls’ Varsity Hockey defeated Tewksbury Memorial High School with a score of 1-0 in a hard fought game on Saturday, Dec. 16.

WA scored the winning point during the third period when freshman Kiley Carmichael made a swift shot at the goal assisted by junior captain Kailey Hannon.

Forward players from Westford’s team including Carmichael, sophomore Delilah Cioffi, and junior Amanda Brissenden were consistently moving the puck towards Tewksbury’s goal, keeping the pressure alive throughout the game. 

Despite Tewksbury’s strong offense, freshman goalie Kiera Tucker saved every one of the many shots taken at Westford’s goal. Tucker made over five saves in the first period alone. 

“Everybody played their hearts out and it was a really good game,” head coach Jim Geraghty said. “Our goalie Kiera [Tucker] really stood on her head and did a great job for us.”

Along with Tucker’s strong performance, WA had an impressive defensive lineup, especially during the first two periods. Notably, junior captain Dorothy Galvin and freshman Emily Boneck put up a very strong defense against Tewksbury, clearing the puck from WA’s side of the rink on numerous occasions.

Just minutes after the third period began, the Ghosts finally scored a goal when Hannon made a pass to Carmichael, who was able to effectively shoot and score the winning point. After two tense, yet uneventful periods, this score excited both the team and their fans alike.

With this win, the Ghosts were able to start their season out strong, and Geraghty hopes these efforts will continue moving forward. He says this is one of the best games the team has ever participated in.

“The team we played was a very, very strong team and we battled hard,” Geraghty said.

The Girls’ Hockey team’s next game will be on Wednesday, Dec. 20 against Billerica at 5:00 p.m.