Aamir Kapasi sweeps the stage with ‘Disgraced’ performance, winning Best Actor at State

ASA Photographic
Kapasi is congratulated by senior Megan Metivier (left) and sophomore Viktoria Kariuki (right) right as he wins the award.

When Westford Academy Theater Arts’ won its three awards at the Massachusetts Educational Theater Guild state finals, senior Aamir Kapasi was not disappointed that his name was not called. Instead, he was filled with pride and joy for his fellow cast and crew. It was only minutes later, as the winner for Best Actor in the state was called, that he melted into his seat in shock and disbelief.

Kapasi won Best Actor in the State award at the METG festival finals on Saturday, March 23 for his performance as Amir Kapoor in the play Disgraced’. Written by Ayad Akhtar, the play takes place in 2001 and tackles difficult themes such as islamophobia, domestic violence, and anti-semitism.

The main character, Amir is a Pakistani Muslim lawyer who lives with his wife, Emily. He continuously rejects his heritage and religion and tries to hide it from his law firm, but ends up getting exposed due to a case he was involved in. After a series of events at a dinner party, including a tense conversation about religions and their perceptions that escalates into violence, Amir ends up “disgraced”, losing his wife and his job.

This was Kapasi’s first award at state finals, as he had never gotten to participate in the METG festival prior to his senior year, save for when he was in sixth grade and a member of crew. However, he has been in theater every year since then.

“Any play that I’ve ever done, I’m glad that it was [‘Disgraced’] that I was recognized for because it is an important play for right now,” Kapasi said. “It’s an important play for me as well […] getting to play a role that speaks to my community and [to] be acknowledged for that is an incredible opportunity and experience.”

Other than sharing a first name, Kapasi and his character, Amir, share their religious identity and South Asian heritage.

“Typically, when you’re able to construct a very detailed, authentic character, you do share things, you share something,” ‘Disgraced’ director and theater arts teacher Michael Towers said.

Towers has known Kapasi for several years, ever since he first started acting over the summer between sixth and seventh grade. His character in ‘Disgraced’ isn’t perfect, although to many in his life, Amir appears to be put together.

“All characters in plays are very flawed, [..] all human beings are very flawed. But this was hard for [Kapasi], because there were things that were very personal to him that were embedded in the play,” Towers said.

Towers believes that Kapasi’s ability to connect with his character is what made his performance on stage so powerful, granting him the title of the best actor in the state of Massachusetts. The actor revealed that before his performance, he would start walking at the pace that he, as Aamir Kapasi, would walk, and would slowly transition into how his character, Amir Kapoor would walk. He stated that he had a few other strategies to better ‘become’ his character as well.

“This was a little silly, but I had a playlist that was just songs from […] the show,” Kapasi said. “I think ‘Runaway’ by Kanye West was on there because that’s the final song [Amir] falls down to.”

Yet, despite their surface level similarities, the actor is a very different man from his character, according to Towers and several of Kapasi’s cast mates. While the character is angry and violent, Kapasi is kind and caring.

“Aamir is probably the kindest person you will ever meet. He truly does not have a bad bone in his body,” junior and ‘Disgraced’ assistant director Maeve O’Toole said.

O’Toole has known Kapasi since her freshman year, and was working under the mentorship of Towers during the preparation for the play. Senior Gaby Sanders, who starred in ‘Disgraced’ alongside Kapasi as his character’s wife, Emily, shared a similar sentiment.

“We’ve gone to school together forever,” Sanders said. “[…] He’s actually the warmest, most affectionate person I’ve ever met in my entire life.”

Despite Kapasi’s immense talent, he has his vulnerabilities, like every human being. According to Towers, that is a major aspect of being a good actor.

“All great characters, just like all humans, are not only flawed, they have vulnerabilities. [..] If you don’t create those vulnerabilities, you’re creating superhumans, you’re creating superheroes. And that’s not what plays are,” Towers said.

Many of the life lessons the senior has learned and the experiences he has had during his time with WATA have made him the person he is today, Kapasi said.

“There’s so much good that comes from [theater] that has changed my life for the better,” Kapasi said. “It’s the end of high school, and I’ve been thinking back on all of it. […] If I did a sport, for example, versus theater, I think I would be a totally different person.”

Kapasi also had a few words to say to those who were on the fence about joining theater, whether it be in middle school or at Westford Academy.

“Oh my God, just do it. [..] High school is a time to just do whatever you want to do. […] There are so many examples that I could name, [with] people who were hesitant, and they joined, and they loved it in the end,” Kapasi said.

According to Kapasi, he wants to keep theater in his life, especially when he goes to college at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbour.

“I really hope that I can continue with that community in the future,” Kapasi said. “[…] It’s just been such an amazing part of school.”