Wagner excited for future at WA

Click here to read about Michelle Wagner

Alisha Sabnis, Advertising Manager

WA welcomes new ELA (English Language Arts) teacher, Michelle Wagner to the community. Wagner has just started teaching here this fall and is excited to see what’s in store for her. The Ghostwriter had the opportunity to sit and talk with her about her experience so far.

Q: What do you do here at WA?

A: I’m the new ELL teacher so I work with students who are international exchange students and I also work with students whose families have moved into the area and who are studying English.

Q: How has your experience been so far?

A: I love it, the students are amazing.They are very hardworking and wonderful students.

Q: Have you done anything like this before?

A: I actually teach as an adjunct professor at UMASS Lowell.

Q: Did you always want to do this, and what made you want to become an ELL teacher?

A: ‘I’ve always wanted to be a teacher. I really love meeting students from around the world, from different countries. I think it really makes our experience more rich when we have people from all different backgrounds and cultures coming together in one school.

Q: Is there anyone who inspired you to become a teacher?

A: Actually, an english teacher, I have always loved English. One day I was typing up a short story in the library and I ran out of time and I forgot my story there at the keyboard. A librarian found it and typed the rest of the story up for me and I submitted it. I ended up winning a contest for writing so that inspired me to continue writing.

Q: Do you have any memorable experiences with students in the past?

A: One time I had a student and she was actually blind so I got to go out on a horseback riding adventure with her and it was amazing just to see how she perceives the world differently than people who have their vision. I think it’s so important to look through everyone’s eyes and have an open mind so that we can all learn so much from each other. I know I learned as much from my students as they learn from me and I really think that’s the way it should be.

Do you want to continue teaching for as long as you can?

A: Yes definitely, I miss teaching in the summer, it drives me crazy, I prefer to be teaching so I always teach summer school. I generally teach at UMASS during the summertime.

Q: Do you travel?

A: I do, unfortunately I haven’t gone overseas because I do have a family and I have children but one day I would love to do more travelling.

Q: Can you tell me about your family?

A: I have two daughters, one of them is in fact a freshman here at WA, her name’s Megan and I also have a daughter named Makayla who is a sixth grader.

Q: What else do you love besides teaching?

A: I love horses, I love horseback riding. I used to have 2 horses back in Illinois. I love dogs, I’ve gotten involved in dog training.

Q: Any final thoughts?

A: I’m just really thrilled to be here. I think this school has an amazing group of teachers and students. I feel very fortunate to be here with you all.