Carpenter multiplies positive effects at WA

Young people, looking for careers to begin their lives after college or high school, generally strive towards one difficult goal; finding a job that they enjoy and look forward to each day. Bob Carpenter, a 27-year Westford Public Schools veteran, has achieved this lofty task, finding his calling in teaching and helping students in math throughout his years.

“My wife said the other day, ‘I don’t think I’ve ever heard you say you’re going to work, you always say you’re going to school’,” Carpenter said.

Despite finding his passion in schools, Carpenter never intended on being a teacher when entering UMass Lowell, studying engineering.

“Late in my career [at UMass], I did decide that I wanted to try to go into teaching, so it actually took me an extra year to get my teaching credits,” Carpenter said.

Upon graduation from college, Carpenter taught in the Woburn Public Schools, but just a few years into his job, the fear of layoffs in the school system sent Carpenter back to his roots within the computer industry, where he spent 8 years. He was a systems analyst and programmer at a manufacturing company, working on what he studied originally in Lowell.

Carpenter eventually returned to teaching, and began work in Westford, where he spent the last 27 years, with 16 at WA. He spent other years at the Norman E. Day School as well as Blanchard Middle School.

Math studies drew Carpenter for the reason that he enjoyed math, as well as majoring in mathematics with the UMass engineering program. Teaching in itself was an attractive career since he wanted to make a difference for students.

“While I was out programming and doing the analyst work, honestly the money was much better, but the self-satisfaction wasn’t what it was when I taught. That’s really what led me back to teaching, and I’m really happy I did that,” Carpenter said.

In regards to teaching style, Carpenter chuckled, stating that his main goal was to be sure students enjoyed being in his class while still learning the material.

“I wanted to at least keep it lively and keep the kids interested,” Carpenter said.

One other major part of Carpenter’s life and career has been the game of hockey. After playing in high school and college, he began coaching hockey at many different schools He especially enjoyed coaching and teaching in the same building at WA, seeing his players succeed on the ice and in the classroom.

“I’ve never considered coaching a job […] it’s just part of what I do,” Carpenter said.

Furthermore, Carpenter elaborated on the differences of coaching and teaching in a classroom setting.

“It’s different. When your at the rink, you’re really trying to motivate your players and it’s a different environment and it’s a different style. I’ve been more vocal at the rink, and I think I’m more laid back at school. I do think I’ve had different styles [at hockey and the classroom].” Carpenter said.

Despite retiring, Carpenter plans to continue coaching the WA Boys’ Hockey team, and will be entering his 20th year coaching the team.

Carpenter has much to be excited for as he enters retirement, including the birth of his granddaughter in June. He also plans to travel to Italy in October with his wife for a couple weeks.

Carpenter hopes to stay active throughout his retirement, and to assist this, he will be finding part time jobs to fill his time off.

“I really haven’t thought tremendously about retirement […] it’s business as usual right here […] I don’t think it will dawn on me until next September when everyone’s going back and I’m not going back,” said Carpenter.

Overall, Carpenter has some very positive parting words for his past students, colleagues, and players as he moves into the next stage in his life.

“I would just say thank you. They’ve made my career. They’ve made it more than I actually expected and I’m really thankful. The students, the teachers, and the administrators at Westford have been fabulous and I think they’re all the reason I never say I’m going to work, I’m going to school […],’ said Carpenter, ‘That never would’ve happened if it wasn’t for the students we have […].”