Everett scheduled to return next year

Josh Rosenstein, Staff Writer

Each June at Westford Academy, there are teachers that leave the school and are replaced by new faces the following year. However, this is not the case for Amanda Everett, as she will be returning to WA after leaving the school two years ago.

Everett swapped places with Tim Curran at Stony Brook Middle School during the 2016-2017 school year, and she then took this year off on maternity leave. Although Curran taught seventh grade at Stony Brook, Everett took a position as a grade eight teacher.

“I don’t think I would have considered the swap if it was for seventh grade. I was more interested in the eighth-grade experience because of my role as a ninth grade teacher and my familiarity with the content,” Everett said.

Everett described some of the differences between high school and middle school, pointing out the extra time needed for planning for multiple courses at the high school. She also explained the scheduled time set aside for collaboration between colleagues at the middle school, which does not happen as often at WA.

Everett enjoyed the change of scenery and the new experience offered at the middle school, especially since she knew she would only be there for one year.

“I had a very positive experience at Stony Brook. […] I think it’s a totally different environment and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to work with the eighth grade students and amazing Stony Brook teachers,” Everett said.

Kimberly Sears, who filled in for Everett, appreciated the year teaching at Westford Academy.

“I really enjoyed this year, and all of the people that I met, and all of the students that I had,” Sears said.

Though originally planning on filling in for just one year, Sears was given an opportunity to return for another year. She decided that she wanted to continue teaching at WA and will get a chance to work with Everett next year.

“I see myself being in this school. I really liked teaching the [tenth] grade, and I will be doing that next year as well,” Sears said. 

The rest of the history department is also looking forward to having Everett back. Social Studies Curriculum Coordinator Adam Ingano voiced his eagerness to have Everett returning, even though he has yet to work with her.

“I’m very excited. She has a reputation for being really creative and having really high standards, so obviously I’m thrilled to have her back,” Ingano said.

A social studies teacher during her career, Everett will be teaching similar classes to what she taught before leaving WA. Though she has occasionally taught psychology for upperclassmen, she typically teaches ninth and tenth grade courses.

“I’ll be teaching two CP US I classes, two CP World History, and one Honors World History. I’ve never taught a year-long CP US I course. […] I’m looking forward to it, though,” Everett said.

Everett expressed her enthusiasm with returning to Westford Academy. It will be her thirteenth year teaching, and her eighth at WA.

“I’m excited to return to WA! It’ll be hard leaving my own children of course, but WA is such an enjoyable place to teach. I look forward to seeing familiar and new faces,” Everett said.