The concept of growing up

Back to Article
Back to Article

The concept of growing up

Chloe Morbelli, Arts and Entertainment Editor

“What do you want to be when you grow up?”

Throughout my time at WA, answering this question has always been something I avoided. By the age of 18, people expect that I should have some idea of what I want to do for a career, but my answer is still “I don’t know.”

Yes, if I had an idea of what I wanted to do, my future plans might be clearer. Choosing a college would be easier and my parents’ minds would put to ease, but the thought of locking down to something I am unsure of creates instant guilt inside of me. This choice could determine a large fraction of my adult life.  As I try to balance practicality and my dreams, no subject or field has emerged as the thing I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

Although I admire those who have their futures mapped out, I have learned it is okay to be unsure of mine. I am not willing to let this question bog me down, and I’m a firm believer that growing up is not defined by a career.

In response to growing up, I do not believe it should be necessarily answered with a career.  Yes, maybe my family and friends are waiting for me to say a doctor, an architect, an accountant, or a teacher, but what about answering this question with “happy?” Why not say, “to have a purpose” or “to feel like I am making a difference?”

Then this realization struck me —  why wait to grow up when I can do now what people go through years of schooling to learn? Now, what comes after this varies from person to person, but I learned that doing the little things that I enjoy are how I can make a difference—a difference in others, for the planet, for myself. Making a difference does not mean taking the whole world upon my shoulders, but making my way slowly but surely.

Aside from all the math, English, history, science, and French questions I have answered at WA, I think “I don’t know” is the most important answer I have given. My path does not need to be mapped out, and I am learning to make the most of the present. “I don’t know” is guiding me along the right path.

No, I do not know what my plans for the future are, but I plan to make my decisions based off of my happiness. Being uncertain and happy outweighs living a safe and potentially boring life. I will lead my life following a compass that tells me what I want most.

About the Writer

I’m a creative, laid-back, hardworking yet stressed senior who is continuing on with my second year on the Ghostwriter. I’m intrigued by the arts,...