Spanish club helps spread hope through art

Hannah McGrath, Staff Writer

imagePieces of art displaying hope for peace will be presented to the Westford Academy Spanish club and AP/5H classes, but only one will be picked to represent their fundraiser. The fundraiser is not just an in school fundraiser, it will extend globally.

The first stage of the fundraiser is a contest. The contest is taking place on Ilustra.org, where Iberian artists are uploading their designs. The theme for the design is “Esperanza por la paz” (hope for peace). The design that the Spanish program finds most fitting for this theme will win the contest.

The theme was picked by the Spanish club and AP and honors 5 students, as they felt that artists have creative insights when expressing such a topic. The students are currently focusing on “Beauty and Esthetics” which inspired this contest. The design can be anything the artist feels represents this slogan.

The artists have from April 1st to April 15th to create and upload their design to Illustrate.org. The Spanish department will celebrate runners-up who will receive trophies. The winner’s design will be made into t-shirts and bumper stickers and will be the face of the fundraiser.

Once the t-shirts and bumper stickers are made of the winning design, they will be sold throughout the school and to the general public. The t-shirt will be displayed at WA and the middle schools during lunch periods and can be ordered online. Students who are interested in the bumper stickers will be able to purchase them at lunch.

Once the items are sold, all money raised will be evenly split in two ways. Half of the money will be given to a school in Copas Ruinas in Honduras. This school was picked to have donations given to them since the Westford Rotary Club has a relationship with them already. The rest of the money will be given to a social justice related organization in the country of the winning artist.

“Our goal is to raise $1000 that will evenly be split between the school in Copas Ruinas Honduras, and the cause chosen by the winning artist,” said Spanish teacher and Spanish club advisor, Jen Ganley who is heavily involved in this fundraiser and contest.

Ganley is friends with Franz Israel who created the website illustra.org and is helping with this contest and fundraiser.

“In talking with him, we figured that this contest would be a great opportunity for WA’s AP/5H students to have first hand experience with the powerful impact that social media can have,” said Ganley.

The fundraising will begin as soon as a winner is picked and items are made, and Ganley hopes this fundraiser will become a tradition at WA.

“Our hopes are to raise money for these great causes, recognize artists, and incite social awareness,” said Ganley.