Meet Spanish teacher Jennifer Ganley

Jennifer Ganley
Jennifer Ganley

By Ciara Barstow

Jennifer Ganley is a new foreign language teacher at WA this year. She is excited to be teaching Spanish, her favorite language, at this school.

Q: What was your inspiration to become a teacher? Was it a particular moment that you discovered you wanted to teach, or was it one of those things that you just knew since you were a kid?

A: I was inspired by teachers growing up.   However, it was not until after I was working in sales and internet advertising that I decided to go back to school in order to get my Master’s Degree to teach Spanish.

Q: What schools did you attend to earn your teaching degrees?

A: I majored in Spanish Literature at Brandeis University and I got my Master’s in Education at BC.

Q: What was it that attracted you to this town while looking for teaching employments?

A: I have only heard wonderful things about Westford Schools.  I am also thrilled to have a 15 minute commute!

Q: What is the best part of educating others?

A: Teaching is a fulfilling job.  I enjoy making a positive impact and influence on others.  Every day is different, which is something that I truly enjoy.  It also makes me happy to hear when one of my former students is majoring in Spanish or using the language in their line of work.

Q: How would you describe your teaching style?

A: I have been described by students as “strict yet supportive.”  I expect a lot from every individual student, but I let them know that I am here along the way to help them.

Q: What is it like being a new teacher in this school?

A: It is exciting, hectic and fast-paced.

Q: What other jobs have you had?

A: I have worked as a waitress, in industrial sales and internet advertising.  I also currently teach Spinning Classes at the gym.

Q: What is your background in foreign language?

A: I began taking Spanish in 7th grade.  No one else in my family speaks the language, except for my 2 year-old son.

Q: What is your favorite thing about WA so far?

A: The faculty and students have been so nice and helpful.