Softball sets sights on DCL title

Katie Hall
The infielders meet at the mound to encourage pitcher.

At the start of each season, every team in the state is 0-0. Despite this, some teams have higher expectations than others. Westford Academy Softball is a team that has earned the right to go into every year with big goals. After going 10-6 last season, WA has their focus locked in on winning another DCL championship. 

Before WA is able to achieve their goals, they will first have to overcome some adversity in terms of their personnel. Seven seniors graduated in 2023, leaving only half of the varsity team remaining. In addition, assistant coach Jen Hoar has moved onto a college position ahead of the 2024 season. Despite the changes, senior captains Sarah Kirby, Katie Carroll, and Naomi Oxender are excited and ready to take on the challenge of leading the team and mentoring the seven new varsity players. 

“I am excited to see how this team bonds with each other both on and off the field. We have a lot of new players which gives us a lot of room to strengthen our team chemistry. Support of each other is vital if we expect to find success on the field,” Kirby said. 

To begin building that chemistry, the captains have been running practices for the team at The Mill Works ahead of the start of the season. These practices provide a platform for players to work together to get better as a team skills-wise, but also allow the team to bond and connect before the season even begins. 

“The practices have been going really well. We have seen a lot of progress over the 8 weeks especially with the freshmen, both with team bonding and all of our skills,” Carroll said. “I’m super excited to see how the teams form, and to see the growth individually as players, but also as a program that lost a lot of good players last year. I’m excited to get back into the swing of things with practices and games.”

With captains practices now over and the off season officially coming to an end, the next step for the Ghosts is to get on the field. WA has several scrimmages scheduled over the course of the upcoming week to help them prepare for opening day, while also continuing to put in the work during practices.

“There is only so much you can do inside, so getting out on the field will feel great,” Kirby said. “It is clear that everyone on the team has been putting in the work during the off season so that has been amazing to see. I am proud to see the commitment everyone puts in which makes me even more excited to see the hard work pay off on the field.”

The loss of seven seniors combined with an assistant coaching change has raised some question marks as to whether or not this WA team can continue their trend of success this season, but the Ghosts are simply using this criticism as motivation. 

“My biggest expectation is that whatever we do we are always giving our all. Winning or losing I will hold my teammates accountable to always push ourselves no matter what our individual roles are at the moment,” Kirby said. “I also think people see this as a year for our team to rebuild and readjust, potentially making us a team to just brush off in other teams eyes. I am excited to prove those teams wrong.”

The Ghosts will open up on the road against North Middlesex on Monday, April 1, at 4 p.m.