WA Boys’ Track and Field looks to sprint towards a successful season

Coach+Archambault+smiles+at+the+camera.+
Matt Davidopoulos
Coach Archambault smiles at the camera.

Coming off of a strong performance last season, both head coach Phillip Archambault, and track and field captains Paul Bergeron, Davis Haines, Adam Wedlake, Devesh Khamitkar, and Jason Story have high hopes for the spring 2024 season.

The goal for the boys this year is the same as every year: to maximize the talent available and put the athletes in the best position possible for them to succeed.

Archambault believes that while the team had a good run last year, the returning athletes are better this year due to their experience from last year. He also hopes that the distance runners have a breakout season and qualify for nationals,

“The goal is to get a few more of them to qualify for nationals and maybe compete in some of the distance relays at Nationals and put a big showing in at the division championship in the State Championship,” Archambault said.

Archambault mentions Bergeron in particular, as he came 2nd in the country for the 5000 meter indoors event last year. The hope is that he can continue his strong performances and potentially finish first.

Despite only having two returning competitors from last year, Archambault also has high aspirations for the throwing field crew.

“It’s a little early to judge where [the throws crew] are because most of them I haven’t really seen before. But if attitude is an indication, we’re in good shape,” Archambault said.

Archambault believes that with the amount of hard work the team has put into practices, the team will be a serious contender in the Dual County League (DCL).

“I think that a lot of teams are going to have difficulty contending with us because in sprints, we’re going to hold our own, in distance [events], we’re going to do some serious damage. In the throws, the focus seems to be there, [so] the results will come,” Archambault said.

Achambault’s main goal for the team is to become more cohesive, and “row in the same direction.” With this improvement, Archambault believes the team will have a foundation to become stronger than ever before.

The team will face Acton-Boxboro on Tuesday April 9th for their second meet of the season.