Fahlman ready to take on next chapter as a Greyhound

Chris+Fahlman+smiles+for+a+photo+while+wearing+Assumption+University+merchandise.+
James McDermott
Chris Fahlman smiles for a photo while wearing Assumption University merchandise.

Senior Chris Fahlman achieved his dream of being a collegiate swimmer when he announced his commitment to Assumption University on Wednesday, Feb. 28.

Fahlman began his swimming journey when he was just three years old. He was first taught by his mom, before getting professional lessons and joining a club team soon thereafter. 

Fahlman’s love for swimming evolved from just a fun activity to a way of life over the years. Like most athletes, Fahlman did not always motivate himself simply with the main goal of swimming in college in mind, but it instead came as a result of how hard he was working.

“Swimming has meant a lot to me. It started off as something to do after school, but became something I was very passionate about,” Fahlman said. “I met a lot of great people through the sport who have become my best friends. It gave me a more competitive mindset and has always kept me driven to improve myself.”

Fahlman spent the majority of his swimming career with the Greater Lowell YMCA, but recently switched to United Swim Club this past summer. Club swimming is known for being very competitive, and while Fahlman has loved club swim, he also says that nothing can match the fun and excitement of high school swim. 

“The WA team brings out the fun side of swimming. With a short season, we do many fun activities such as our team scavenger hunt around Westford, Boston dinner, spags, and much more,” Fahlman said. “All of this brings the team very close and transfers to meet days where we all swim for team success, and put winning meets first.”

WA has been historically successful during Fahlman’s high school years. WA won the state championship in 2023, and finished second in the state in 2022 and 2024. Along the way, Fahlman has done his part by winning the 200 freestyle at DCL’s, and earning fifth place in the 200 freestyle and seventh place in the 100 freestyle at states. 

In addition, Fahlman expressed his gratitude for WA’s head coach Caitlin Klick-McHugh, who played a major role in his recruitment journey.

“My head coach, Caitlin, had the biggest role in my college search. At the start of summer 2023, she met with me at Chelmsford Swim & Tennis, and explained everything I needed to do to get recruited as well as starting a list of colleges with me,” Fahlman said.

From the beginning of his recruitment process, Fahlman has felt a connection to Assumption. It checks all of his boxes from athletics and coaching, to academics and campus life.

“Assumption seemed to be perfect for me when I visited the campus in the summer for a tour,” Fahlman said. “For the swimming aspect, I immediately was interested after my phone call with the head coach. We spoke for almost a whole hour, longer than any other coach I had spoken to, and he explained his vision for the team and how he wanted to work towards his goals for the team. I trust him to help me take my swimming career to the next level.”

Fahlman is looking forward to the opportunity to bring WA’s winning ways with him as he joins a newly constructed Assumption Greyhounds Men’s Swimming team, while also pursuing his education.

“I’ve already set myself goals for my next four years,” Fahlman said. “I’m excited for the academics and to have fun, but I am most excited to pursue my goal of winning events for Assumption at their meets and NE10’s [Northeast 10 Conference]. I hope to draw in talented swimmers and help grow the newly created men’s program.”