‘Madame Web’ is as bad as the internet deems

The Madame Web movie poster displays Dakota Johnson in the middle.
Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios, having some of the most famous movies and many amazing action scenes, have had their fans waiting for the new Madame Web movie, which explains her origin story. But when the movie came out, it was met with an underwhelming response, as there were many aspects of the movie that did not live up to its potential.

The movie, directed by S.J. Clarkson, was released on Feb. 14th. The film follows Madame Web (Dakota Johnson), tracking how she gains her powers to see the future. After Cassandra (Madame Web’s original name) gains her powers of viewing the future in an accident, she is confused by how to handle her powers. She goes on to try to save a group of girls as she foresees their death due to Ezekiel Sims, the antagonist with similar powers to Madame Web, but with extra human strength. Throughout the movie, Madame Web learns more about these girls as she works to protect them from Ezekiel Sims.

The movie explains the origin of Madame Web quite well, as it shows how she received her powers and how she used them in the end to defeat Ezekiel. However, there were a lot of things about the movie that made the experience of watching it a little strange.

For example, the camerawork could have been better. The camera was going behind objects during some scenes and it didn’t fit right because they were distracting and blocked the audience’s view. When an object blocks the audience’s view, one might expect a transition of some sort, but none occur. In the beginning, when Madame Web is looking into the future, the writers try to show her panicking and scared, but the constant blurring and changing of angles made the scene almost impossible to follow.

The movie is a superhero action movie, but most of the movie is just a repetition of her seeing the future and running away. The only time she does something is at the end. There is a lack of action, which means that action-lovers may dislike this about the movie. Another thing about the writing in the movie that I didn’t like is the dialogue. The way the characters all talk to each other is a bit unnatural and we don’t hear much dialogue from Ezekiel Sims, preventing the audience from learning much about him. This lack of backstory of the villain contradicts how Marvel sets up their characters, usually with an interesting backstory for the hero and the villain.

Overall, I would not say this was a well-written movie, but if you enjoy watching movies like Morbius or Venom, this is a great movie to watch in your spare time.

4/10