Ghosts’ Baseball springs into action with their eyes set on the State Championship

WA+huddles+post+game+to+hear+from+coach+Mike+Parent+during+the+2023+playoffs.+
Katie McDermott
WA huddles post game to hear from coach Mike Parent during the 2023 playoffs.

It is a spring day at Peter Arthur Diamond. The sun is out, birds are chirping, and a cool breeze flows throughout the outfield. It is these types of days that Westford Academy Baseball, a team that has gone 38-3 over the past two seasons, lives for. 

After having an undefeated regular season record of 19-0 last season, the Westford Academy Baseball team has high expectations as they enter the 2024 season. Especially after losing in the Elite Eight of the MIAA State Tournament last year, they are as determined as ever to go all the way this year. 

“Last season was a special season, and [it] definitely set the expectation for us this year. A lot of things need to fall into place in order to complete an undefeated season like we did last year,” senior captain James McDermott said. “But we are just focused on what we can control. We also have a great group of juniors who will be big contributors for us this year, so we are excited to get started.”

The captains for the 2024 season will be seniors McDermott, Jake Cullen, Tyler Frazee and Nic Bonica. They know what is expected from them this season and are all ready to take on the role of being a leader on and off the diamond. 

Going into the season with high expectations can be challenging for the players, but with the right mindset, they will not get too overwhelmed with the challenge. 

“In the first couple of weeks of practice we will focus on individual skills and all team-related situations, including offensive and defensive situations,” head coach Mike Parent said. 

WA lost a few talented seniors from last year who had a positive impact on the team, but they trust that the team they have this season will pull the weight without an issue. 

“[We] lost a couple of great seniors last year, but they left a mark on us to work even harder than we did last year because we know now what we are capable of doing,” Cullen said. 

Not only does the team want to have another undefeated regular season, but they also want to make it to the State Championship game where they would play at Polar Park, home of the Worcester Red Sox.

“Our main focus is to win games. We have set the expectation over the past two seasons, and our goal is to finish the job this year with a State Championship,” McDermott said. “That starts with all of us working hard every day for each other as the season gets started.”

Cullen thinks WA will stand out from their defense on the field and believes it will carry them to become Dual County League [DCL] champions. 

“Our defense on the field will definitely stand out to teams with our great outfield, infield, and pitching staff that is almost unmatched,” Cullen said. 

WA knows what needs to happen in order to have the best season possible and make this last season for the seniors count. 

“The most exciting thing I am looking forward to is playing one last time with the friends I grew up playing Ripken with,” Cullen said.