Westford Academy Boys’ Tennis prepares for pre-season with high hopes

Saunak Manna
Westford Academy Boys’ Tennis lines up for a picture

As the spring season approaches, Westford Academy Boys’ Tennis is gearing up for another successful year on the courts. With a talented roster of players returning and a dedicated coaching staff leading the way, the team is eager to begin their preseason training and preparation for the upcoming matches.

As they work together to improve their skills and build camaraderie, they are setting their sights on achieving their goals and making their mark in the competitive world of high school tennis.

The team hopes to win it all this season. Strengthened by returning players, WA is poised for a state championship run. Coach Claycomb leads Westford Academy hopes to return to the State Tournament, following their disappointing loss to eventual runner-ups Brookline last year.

The team’s talent is highlighted by senior captain and undefeated DCL MVP Connor Liona, who recently committed to play  Division 1 tennis at Sacred Heart University.

“I think something that our team can all be proud of is our senior captain Connor Liona committing to sacred heart’s D1 tennis program. Anytime you’re on a team with division 1 talent, you know the team has a high ceiling,” junior Saunak Manna said. 

The team will have many of their top players returning, including juniors Saunak Manna, Yash Veerkar and Devank Saxena, sophomore Finn Pacquette who is back from IMG Academy, and sophomore Nikhil Ponnuswamy.

“We have a good freshman class as well, and are excited for upcoming players” Manna said.

As a team in the DCL, Westford Academy plays the toughest competition in the state.

“It’ll be hard this year, as we finished  2nd last year [in the DCL], our goal this year is to win it all,” Manna said.

Looking forward for the upcoming season, newly appointed team manager, junior Pranav Bala is excited for the upcoming task.

“I think the team has a lot of potential. We are on our way to an undefeated season,” Bala said.

The team has been working hard in the offseason. The team also has new tennis courts at the Robinson Elementary school this year, hoping to use them for their advantage.

“As a team, we are passionate and serious at practice. As they say, ‘you play how you practice’ and that is working out for us very well,” Paquette said. “Our team spirit is okay, but could be better. But this season we have a great shot of going far and doing very well.”