Clark pins his way to first place at Wrestling Sectionals

Clark+on+the+podium+after+placing+first+at+Sectionals.+
Provided by: WA Boys’ Wrestling
Clark on the podium after placing first at Sectionals.

Senior Shane Clark became the 2024 Division 1 Central Champion at the MIAA Wrestling Sectionals at Springfield College on Saturday, Feb. 10.

WA was ranked 14th out of the 16 schools, but they still managed to have some successful wrestlers at the meet, with Clark placing first, junior Leo Babineau placing fourth, and sophomore Brayden Carattue placing sixth in their respective events.

Clark knew from the start of his sophomore year that if he took wrestling seriously he could have a beneficial impact on the WA team and fulfill his goal of being Sectional champion. 

Not only was the preparation for Sectionals a lot of work, but the meet itself had its own challenges. In order for Clark to be champion he had to win four matches in a row.

“I pinned my first kid in around 30 seconds, the second match [I controlled him for the whole match to a 3-2 win by points],” Clark said. “I had a close match in the semi-finals […] and won 8-4, also by points. In the finals, I faced a kid from Chelmsford who I beat earlier in the year, and I pinned him in the third period for the sectional title.”

Not only was being Sectional champion a great accomplishment for Clark, but he also had other accomplishments throughout the season that he is very proud of. At the Bruce Rich Invitational, Clark placed fourth, and at the Big Red Tournament he placed third.

Part of Clark’s accomplishments were the hours that he put into practicing outside of meets. Knowing what he wanted to achieve and that it was his last season, Clark put a great deal of effort into every practice and made every effort to prepare for the next meet.

“Even though practice can be grueling, doing it is one of the best feelings ever,” Clark said. “It really encouraged me to go 110% at all times. I’ve embraced the grind more than ever and I’ve also tried to go the extra mile every day this year to make sure I had success.”

Clark began wrestling at a young age but was not immediately successful when he first joined WA’s Varsity Wrestling team. However, after a break from the sport, Clark was determined to improve. 

“When I started back up I was immediately put into an open spot on the Varsity roster. I didn’t do well,” Clark said. “But I’ve worked very hard for a long time and eventually was named captain, team MVP, and became sectional champion.”

Clark will not continue wrestling in college, but he is hoping to stop by WA during his winter break next year to help out and coach. 

Clark is very appreciative of all his coaches and everyone who helped him get to where he finished off the season. 

“I want to thank all of my coaches. Both of the Rich’s, Coach Sennott, and Coach Alex. They’ve spent lots of time helping me improve all of my skills and put things together,” Clark said. “I also want to thank Jack Ring, who came back as an alumni coach. He and I were going against each other every day and he helped me get better.”

View Comments (1)