WA Boys’ Hockey falls to Billerica 6-4

Both teams prepare for a faceoff after a WA shot on goal.
Jack Zwirn

The WA Boys’ Hockey team fell short to Billerica with a final score of 6-4 on Saturday Feb. 10. The loss dropped their record to 13-3-1, but also gave them the title of Co-Champions of the Dual County League (DCL), a title which they will share with Billerica this season.

Just under a minute after the initial puck drop, WA faced their first challenge. Junior Brian Fitzgerald was sent to the penalty box, resulting in a power play for Billerica. During the two minute penalty, Billerica had a few chances on offense, but was unable to convert on any of their opportunities. Senior captain and goalie Tyler Frazee made a couple of skillful saves, which helped WA kill the penalty.

However, two minutes later, Billerica was able to sneak one past Frazee to put themselves in the lead 1-0. After the faceoff at center ice, WA got their first and only power play opportunity, but failed to convert with their man advantage, despite strong offensive play.

Then, with 1:48 remaining in the first period, junior Nate LoConte scored to even the score at 1-1. Their success was short-lived, however, within the last minute of the period, WA suffered two penalties. Junior captain Nick Burns and senior Matt Mulhern were both sent to the box, which meant that not only did they have to finish the first with a 5v3, but they also had to start the second period the same way. The first period ended in a 1-1 tie.

The 5v3 disadvantage showed for WA as Billerica scored less than a minute into the second period bringing it back to a 5v4, and a 2-1 deficit for WA. The second penalty was killed with no further damage done.

With 11:34 remaining in the second, junior Ethan Koehr was sent to the box, putting WA back down to a 5v4 disadvantage. Despite strong offensive play from Billerica, Frazee and the WA defense held up, killing the penalty.

Then, things got physical with 1:51 remaining in the second. Mulhern and a Billerica player started shoving each other, which resulted in both players going to the box for five minutes. This penalty finished the second and went into the third period. However, neither team had a man advantage, as the penalty was for fighting.

Despite an offensive push from Billerica that lasted the final two minutes of the second, Frazee and the WA defense held strong. The second period ended with a 2-1 lead for Billerica.

WA started the third period strong with an offensive push that came up empty, as Billerica played solid defense.

Billerica took control of the puck and made a push towards Frazee, but a penalty was called on WA, resulting in Billerica getting a penalty shot opportunity, which was unsuccessful as Frazee held his ground.

A few minutes after the failed penalty shot, Billerica got their offense going; scoring twice within two minutes on the game clock. This put WA at a larger deficit of 4-1.

Just as all hope seemed lost for WA, they went on a run. Burns scored, making the score 4-2. A minute later, junior JJ Funaro scored, making it 4-3. Then, Mulhern made up for his fighting penalty by scoring a third goal for WA within three minutes. The game was tied at 4-4.

Unfortunately for WA, that was all the offense they could muster. With 2:14 left on the clock, Billerica snuck one past Frazee, putting them back into the lead 5-4. This goal gave Billerica junior Daniel Viscione a hat trick for the game. Billerica fans threw their hats onto the ice in celebration of the achievement.

In a move of desperation to get a goal, WA pulled Frazee to get an extra man on offense, but their offensive push was unsuccessful, Billerica took control of the puck, and then scored on the empty net, increasing their lead to 6-4.

The final buzzer sounded and the game was over. WA lost by a final score of 6-4. With Billerica’s win, both teams now share the title of Co-Champions of the DCL for the 2023-2024 season.

“It was a great game, we showed lots of resilience by coming back after being down 4-1 and never gave up till the last buzzer,” Frazee said. “After [our next game] we are going to focus on the state tournament. Even though we lost we still have a first round home game for the tournament, which we are looking forward to.”

WA’s next game is on Feb 17 against Waltham for senior night. The game will be played at Skate 3 Pavillion at 4:00pm.