Music Department embarks on a musical trip to Philadelphia

Núria Lainez Clapers
The WA band practices for their upcoming performance.

WA’s Music Department is going on a field trip to Philadelphia and New York during spring break in April. The group will depart from WA on April 12th at 7:00 a.m., and return on April 14th at roughly 8:30 p.m.

On the first day of the trip, the students will perform in a band, orchestra, and chorus concert for community service. Last year’s trip excluded any sort of performance, and was a more cultural based trip. This year, however, the Music Department is looking forward to getting back on the stage.

“I’m looking forward to […] the performance. It allows you to get used to performing in an environment for strangers, unlike performing [at school] all the time in front of [just] your friends,” senior cello player Mia Kuo said.

During the second day of the trip, students will get the chance to go sightseeing, and watch the Philadelphia Orchestra perform live. The Philadelphia Orchestra is considered one of the “big five” orchestras which are well known in the United States. The “big five” include the New York Philharmonic, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Philadelphia Orchestra, and the Cleveland Orchestra. 

Before returning to WA on the final day of the trip, the group will stop in New York City to watch a Broadway show. The exact show is yet to be announced to the students.

“I think [going on this trip] definitely [enhances a student’s musical career],” sophomore chorus member Sarah St. George said. “Especially getting to experience a Broadway show, and seeing other people who are so passionate and people who made a career out of [this].”

This is the second overnight trip hosted by the Music Department since the Covid-19 pandemic. Before Covid, most of the trips involved a student performance element, much like the one this year. The locations of the trip vary every year, with some of the most recent host sites being Florida, Toronto, and New York. Those trips tended to happen every 3-4 years instead of every year, but it has changed since Covid to yearly.

Last year, the Music Department went to New York City for two days to watch two broadway musicals, Hamilton and Sweeney Todd.

“There were so many highlights [from that trip],” chorus teacher Karen St. George said. “I loved the moments in Central Park walking around with colleagues and students […] but of course seeing Hamilton for the first time was huge for me.”

Overall, these trips are meant to encourage students who hope to pursue a professional career in music. It also gives students a chance to connect and spend time with their classmates.

“I think [the Music Department] is a really tight knit community and I think through these trips, you’re able to really see what it is all about,” sophomore oboe player Kristina Park said. “It’s not just about music skill, it’s really about [our music] family.”