Girls’ Basketball gets shut down by Wachusett

WA huddles up and gets ready to get back out on the court to finish off the game.
Katie McDermott

WA Girls’ Varsity Basketball suffered a loss against Wachusett on Tuesday, December 19. The game ended with a score of 62-18, making their record 0-2.  

Wachusett came out firing right off the bat as they very quickly got in the lead, scoring 8 points in the beginning of the first quarter. Not long after, when Wachusett increased their lead 8-0, Head Coach Russell Coward called a timeout for WA. 

“Coming into the game the team already anticipated a very difficult game,” sophomore Kaitlyn Pepin said. “We were definitely the underdogs. Losing badly to them last year, we were able to use scouting reports and knowledge from last year and try to anticipate their game strategy.”

Wachusett continued to climb with an 11-0 lead after the timeout, but eventually WA’s first basket came from Pepin.

WA continued to struggle offensively as they finished off the first quarter down by 14. They continued this streak in the second quarter which led to another timeout for WA at the 6:51 mark.

After WA continued to decline offensively throwing multiple turnovers, the first half ended with Wachusett in the lead 33-8. 

“We played hard and physical on defense, and we ran some things for the first time that went well,” Coward said. “We need to work together better and talk more on the court.”

The third quarter started off strong for WA with an and-1 from Nielsen one minute into the quarter, and by making her foul shot, she increased WA’s score to 13. The third quarter came to an end with WA trailing 44-13.  

The fourth quarter came with difficulties for WA as they were unable to make any sort of comeback. The game came to a close when sophomore Hannah Lupien drained two free throws.

WA continued to fight offensively, but with no shots falling and continuous turnovers, the game ended with a score of 62-18. 

“For the rest of the season we need to continue to play with intensity and try to keep the play intact,” Pepin said. “Even if that’s running a play out again to call a new play if the previous play breaks down.”