Jeremiah Small commits to UMaine for diving

photo provided by Jeremiah Small

Numerous top five finishes in the state. Multiple WA records. DCL championships. A state title. With this long list of accomplishments, senior Jeremiah Small has been a key contributor to the Westford Academy Swim & Dive team throughout his high school career. Excited to continue this legacy, Small will be pursuing swim at the D1 level at the University of Maine next fall.

Small chose the University of Maine as the best school for him after considering the scholarship offers, dining options, and academics at the other colleges he looked at.

I [chose UMaine] because it’s not too far away from home [and] I get to experience a new environment,” Small said. “I also really liked the dive team there. I thought people were really welcoming and it was a really nice team environment compared to other schools I went to.” 

Small is looking forward to the range of academic options that the University of Maine has to offer, as well as the athletic program he will be a part of.

“My hope is to qualify for diving zones which is the meet to qualify for nationals. I don’t know if I can qualify for nationals,” Small said. “Only the top six [in the nation] get to go. [The competition itself] includes all the Ivy schools, […] so competition is fierce to say the least.” 

His teammates on the Swim & Dive team speak very highly of him and his work ethic when it comes to his dives. Senior teammate Brendan Flaherty notes how hard Small works during the meets, which really shows when he dives.

“When I was younger, I would dive recreationally with Jeremiah. From a young age, he was always one level ahead of everybody else, always putting the most time in,” Flaherty said. “The effort that he put into his dives [is unmatched] because he knew from a young age that he wanted to be one of the best and it’s really paying off now in high school.”

Small is beyond excited to take his academic and athletic skills to the University of Maine and hopes to help the school to an America East title and a national title.

“As a person, as an athlete, he’s just a great person, and a great athlete. Great guy, super nice,” Flaherty said “Just a great person to be around and I’m very happy to be on the team with him.”

Small is very grateful to all those who have supported him throughout his journey to make it where he is today.

“Thanks [to my] Mom and Dad for helping me [and] my teammates who supported me along the way,” Small said. “I would [also like to] thank my club coaches and my swim [coaches] from WA.”