WA Boys’ Hockey defeats Chelmsford 3-1

WA+Boys+Hockey+huddles+up+before+the+opening+face-off.+
Victoria Farley
WA Boys’ Hockey huddles up before the opening face-off.

WA Boys’ Hockey defeated Chelmsford 3-1 in their second game of the 2023-2024 season at home on Wednesday, Dec. 13, advancing to a record of 2-0.

WA’s starting lineup consisted of two seniors, Tyler Frazee and Thomas Rose, along with four juniors, Jack Donovan, Nicholas Burns, Ryan Nelken, and JJ Funaro. Right out of the gate, WA brought high intensity to the ice and this carried on throughout the entirety of the first period.

The opening period was filled with action, as only ten minutes into the game the score was already 2-1 in favor of WA.

The first goal of the game was scored for WA by Rose five minutes in. He knifed through Chelmsford’s defense, keeping control of the puck. Although he took a shot on net and missed, he followed through a second time, scoring the first goal of the game.

In a matter of minutes, senior Will Tarbox put another goal in for the Ghosts, increasing WA’s lead to two. WA’s great offense allowed for Tarbox to receive a perfect pass as he cut toward the net, sending his shot in.

With four and a half minutes left in the period, Chelmsford got in the scoring column. After cutting WA’s lead to one, Chelmsford sharpened their defense in the closing minutes of the period, holding the score 2-1 heading into the second period.

The second period was much less eventful than the previous, although the game was still competitive with strong defense from both teams. No goals were scored in the entire fifteen minute period, but impressive saves by Frazee kept the Ghosts on top. Frazee’s quick reactions to the puck never failed as he did not let a single goal in.

As the third and final period was underway, both Chelmsford and WA stayed competitive and aggressive. WA kept their lead by sustaining their pressure and defending their goal well.

With under a minute and a half remaining in the third period, Chelmsford called a timeout and made the decision to pull out their goalie and replace him with a sixth skater in hopes of sparking some late offense. This late-game decision for Chelmsford resulted in another goal for WA with only 28 seconds left in the game, this time scored by Donovan who made the final score 3-1 in favor of WA.

“We played hard and took control of the game early which helped us maintain the lead throughout the game,” Frazee said. “There are still a lot of improvements to be made, but I’m glad to see our team off to a good start of the year.”

Frazee is looking forward to the season and is proud of how both he and his team performed on Wednesday against Chelmsford.

“The team came out with a lot of competitive spirit,” Frazee said. “Having it be our home opener against Chelmsford, everyone was pumped to beat them.”

WA Boys’ Hockey will face off next against Central Catholic at Skate 3 Pavillion at 5:50 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 20.