WA Girls’ Hockey wins 8-2 in their season opener over Newton North

Kate Kelly
WA Girls’ Hockey stands for the national anthem before their game begins.

WA Girls’ Hockey played their first game of the 2023-2024 season on Saturday, December 9, defeating Newton North on their home rink with a final score of 8-2.

The Ghosts had no hesitation to dominate possession after the initial puck drop. Less than a minute into the first period, receiving a string of passes up the rink, junior captain Kailey Hannon scored the first goal of the game. WA’s 1-0 lead set the tone for the rest of the game.

Although the game bounced focus between both halves of the rink, players including sophomore goalie Kiera Tucker were able to solidify the defensive line and make saves to clear danger from WA’s net.

With eight minutes left in the period, sophomore forward Delilah Cioffi utilized her fast skating to score another goal for WA. Newton was quick to respond with an offensive push, getting them their first goal of the game. 

Hannon was then quick to shut down their opponent, initiating a break away and flicking in her second goal of the game. Cioffi followed shortly after; both girls securing another point for the team. With three minutes left in the first period, WA led 4-1. 

With a plethora of stick skills displayed on the rink, freshman forward Jacqueline Chace received a swift pass that she took to the goal, scoring in a one-on-one against a Newton defender. 

Entering the second period, WA held a 5-1 lead. This time, Newton brought more strategy to the rink, making for a more competitive game. Yet, at five minutes in, the Ghosts made a fast push down the ice and freshman forward Kiley Carmichael planted another goal for the team. 

Despite facing a more skillful set of players, WA adjusted and sent strings of passes around the Newton defensive line, barely missing a few sharp shots. 

With two minutes remaining, Chace accelerated down the left wing, blasting another clear shot, untouched by Newton’s goalie. The period ended soon after with a 7-1 lead for the Ghosts.  

The third and final period featured a higher level of aggression from both teams, with multiple players losing their balance in congested battles for the puck. 

In a power play possession, Hannon scored another goal from mid-rink resulting in a hat trick. Newton then managed to score on a quick breakaway from the left wing.

With similar energy seen throughout the period, the game concluded with a 8-2 victory for WA.  

“The best thing about today’s game is that we got to play everybody. We have a big roster. In most games, not everyone gets to play,”  head coach Jim Geraghty said. “But we were able to get a big lead, so we were able to get everybody on and that made me really happy that everybody got to play.”

WA Girls Hockey has been deemed ‘co-op’, meaning that the team is composed of players from towns including Westford, Littleton, and Groton. Players like Hannon vocalize how important team connections are, now more than ever.

“It was our first game playing together, a lot of new girls, […] so we still have to get used to each other. There’s still work that needs to be done,” Hannon said. “But I think for our first game, we really stepped up and played well. […] We’re all so supportive of each other. It’s just a really positive environment which is helping our play on the ice.”

Finishing the game with such a large point difference, the team left with general high hopes for upcoming games, reflecting on their teamwork.

“I think we played really well as a team and we really dominated and capitalized on their weaknesses,” Carmichael said. “I think their goal was fairly new, which was definitely a plus for us. And I think that just our speed was better than theirs.”

Last season the team finished with a record of 9-10-1. Having lost both of their goalies for six of those games, Geraghty was happy with the performance of the players.

“We made the state tournament, which was our goal last year,” Geraghty said. “We were 20th in the state and we lost in the first round to Billerica/Chelmsford 2-0, and then they went on to be third in the state. So it was great. That was a really good record.”

The Ghosts had two scrimmages before their season opener game. The first against Bishop Guertin High School where they won 6-0, and the second against Billerica Chelmsford where they lost 2-0.

“Our overall goal is to make the state tournament, we have a very tough schedule. Our league is one of the best in the state. So therefore, there’ll be some games we lose, but we’d like to win as many as we can.” Geraghty said.

WA’s looks to face off against Tewksbury Memorial during their next game of the season at the Nashoba Valley Olympia Rink, 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 16.