Westford Academy Defies Expectations and Beats Acton-Boxboro in Double Overtime

By Robert Gilman

007

This Thanksgiving, the Westford Academy Grey Ghosts (8-3) were able to pull off a 31-28 win in double overtime against the rival team, the Acton-Boxboro Colonials (6-5).

The stake for this year’s Thanksgiving game was a spot in the playoffs. This win insures a spot for Westford Academy and will continue the football season for WA.

This game was one of the biggest games of the year, if not the biggest. The Westford Academy bleachers were full of fans and the Acton-Boxboro stands had a large showing. Westford Academy has a long history of loss against Acton-Boxboro during Thanksgiving games.

The Grey Ghosts began the scoring with a 35 yard pass from Patrick Dugan to Mark Cornelius. The Colonials quickly answered the score with a 1 yard touchdown run by Dana Duquette; this score marked the end of the first quarter with a tie.

In the second quarter the Grey Ghosts could not get anything done offensively and struggled defensively. The Colonials took advantage by scoring 14 unanswered points in the form of two touchdown runs by Robert Goguen and Derek Apgar. The first half ended in a 21 – 7 game with Acton-Boxboro leading.

The half time show started with the Acton-Boxboro marching band and flag guard. They were followed by the Westford Academy marching band.

The Grey Ghosts opened scoring in the third quarter with a six yard run by Dugan. The Colonials were not able to make any key plays in the third.

The Grey Ghosts scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter with a 55 yard pass to Cornelius from Dugan. This score tied the game and forced the two teams to go into overtime.

Overtime started with a three yard touchdown run by Robert Goguen to put the Colonials up by seven. The Grey Ghosts fought back and scored a touchdown with a 10 yard pass from Dugan to Cornelius. First overtime ended with a tie of 7-7 forcing the game into double overtime.

Double overtime began with a playoff berth on the line. The Grey Ghosts scored three points with a field goal by Cornelius. The Grey Ghost defense pulled through and forced a fumble from Robert Gougin to end overtime and win the game.

At the end of the game, a key player for WA, Junior Cornelius had this to say “I can’t even talk right now. This is awesome; it’s awesome.”

At the end of the day, Westford Academy’s Grey Ghosts walked off the field with a playoff spot and bragging rights.

The first playoff game is on Tuesday, December 1st in Lynn, against the Northeast champion Gloucester.