WA indoor track is ready to sprint into a successful season

WA+distance+girls+pose+for+a+picture+after+winning+last+seasons+DCL+championship.+
Provided by Emily Wedlake
WA distance girls pose for a picture after winning last season’s DCL championship.

After an undefeated season for the girls’ and a near undefeated season from the boys’ indoor track team, this year’s team is ready to repeat last year’s performance and take on the upcoming season. Led by Coaches Ashley Smith, Philip Archambault and Scott Hafferkamp, the boys and girls senior captains Devesh Khamitkar, Jason Story, Adam Wedlake, Jordan Bishop, Alin Aydogan, Meaghan Lu, Keira Murray and Greta Spahr hope to make it as far as they can in the Dual County League (DCL).

The indoor track athletes have shown numerous times that they can make it deep into the season and not only are those athletes going to continue to do that, but as always, there are new athletes that will be bringing talent to the team.

“I am always excited to see what the new athletes to the team will bring because you just never know when someone is going to be [really good at an event],” Archambault said.

There is always a lot of preparation that goes into the season before it even starts. Many students often do cross country or another fall sport to keep themselves in shape and season ready.

“I think our team has a lot of potential this season, our sprints crew has been putting in many hours on the track in preparation, and our distance crew will be able to build off cross country,” Wedlake said.

Many of the upperclassmen that are captains this year are feeling prepared and ready to be team leaders. Many of them feel like they have already had captain duties throughout the prior years.

“I have helped lead workouts since sophomore year because I knew the captains well,” Story said.

Archambault is expecting his captains to be great leaders and role models as they go through this season. The three boys captains have also proved how far they can go in the season and he has full confidence that they will continue to do so this season.

“Collectively, I expect them to be fantastic leaders as they have been up to this point,” Archambault said. “Athletically all three I expect will make the division meet and probably the all state meet.”

WA has displayed their ability in the past and while they are expected to continue that this season, they also have to prepare for the other states and towns to be just as impressive.

“I am most excited about competing against some of the best in the state and country this season,” Khamitkar said.

The team and coaches know what they have to do to achieve their goals that they have set for themselves for this season. As many teams feel, the WA indoor track team is looking to get as deep into the season as possible.

“The goal is always to have a winning season and to advance deep into our version of the playoffs,” Archambault said. “I think that there are several athletes that will move well into that category.”

WA will have their first meet at 4pm on Dec. 13 away against Lincoln-Sudbury.