Run it back: 3v3 Basketball Tournament

Jack Zwirn
The 3v3 basketball tournament returns on Wednesday November 15th.

The Class of 2024 and Class of 2025 will be hosting a 3v3 basketball tournament in the main gym after school on Wednesday, November 15. It has become a yearly tradition, as it has been a huge success in previous years.

All 13 teams that signed up will be put into a bracket that will work its way towards the championship match in games to 21 points. The team that wins it all will not only win the title of champions, but will also receive a trophy with the names of the players engraved upon it.

Each player entering the tournament must pay the $10 fee to participate. The proceeds will go to the classes of 2024 and 2025 to help lower the costs for prom, cotillion, and other upcoming events.

In order to participate, students had to put together a team of four players. However, only three of them can be on the court at a time, playing in the game. Substitutions will consistently be made to get everyone in the game and participating.

One rule, however, to the creation of teams is that no team is allowed to have more than one player on either the boys or girls varsity basketball teams. This is to make it as fair as possible for every team to have a more equal opportunity to win.

While a regulation basketball game is played in a 5v5 iteration utilizing the full court, the 3v3 style allows for only half of the court to be used, which will result in faster games that are less tiring for the players.

Senior class president Devesh Khamitkar is excited to watch from the sidelines this year instead of participating. He wants to experience a different angle of the tournament after participating in last year’s competition.

“Watching the tournament is always entertaining because it’s a really interesting energy. It’s going to be a good time,” Khamitkar said.

Helping to lead the event is senior class vice president Tarun Sreekanth. He believes that the tournament will provide a good break for students to have some fun amidst one of the longest feeling parts of the school year: the months leading up to winter break.

“Every year this event has such a positive vibe with the whole school coming together. […] It’s a nice, fun little event,” Sreekanth said.