Fleurs de Villes presents a cultural and community experience in Boston’s Prudential Center

Jackie Clay
The dress representing Puerto Rico is a representation of bomba, an artform originally brought by enslaved Africans. Bomba includes music with vibrant rhythms and a dancer who leads the musicians.

The Prudential Center, located in North Boston, is displaying sixteen floral works of art called “Fleurs de Villes”. Each exhibition represents a different country around the world, and each one shares stories about their country’s culture. These arrangements are being presented from Nov. 2-6 and are scattered throughout the mall.

“Fleurs de Villes” is a company that travels to different locations around the country, bringing the community together through artwork. Over the course of the last two days, the Prudential Center has been filled with tourists, students, and Boston residents intrigued by these exhibits. 

“We actually keep track of numbers here, and the amount of people that have come up to speak to us has gone up exponentially because of these floral displays,” Prudential Center Concierge Nora said. 

Due to the busy Prudential building, store workers and managers notice the increase of people shopping in their stores. At both Eataly, an Italian restaurant, and Aritzia, a women’s fashion boutique, workers acknowledge how more customers are entering their stores.

“We are noticing a lot of people stopping to take pictures around here and outside the store,” Aritzia employee Nelly said. “Then they eventually come in.” 

In general, people were pleased with the floral work provided in the Prudential Center. Onlookers from a local floral club came to the center to view the artwork. Others with less experience with flowers still expressed joy at seeing the new exhibits. The Boston community was able to come together at the Prudential Center for some good hearted fun. The culturally inclusive pieces allowed for an overall positive experience for international travelers and locals. 

“When I realized that it was each representing a country I thought ‘oh that’s cool’. I noticed that it is not just one part of the world, like they have Columbia down there. It covers all sorts of places,” local Derek Clark said.

Many people observing the art work were noticing how each display takes a deep dive into the given country’s culture. Whether it was the design, colors, or type of flower used, all arrangements showcased the culture and heritage of the nation in unique and interesting ways. 

I’m from Azores, a Portuguese archipelago. I love the flowers on here. In Azores we have a lot of those flowers, so I love it. For me, the most special one [art piece] is for Portugal,” Marta said.

Many shared information on dances, marketplaces, iconic attractions, and many more. There were instances where people would find the exhibit of the country of their origin or where they had once lived and be able to connect with the artwork. 

“My favorite exhibit was definitely China’s, I am from China” Mei Mei said. “[…] The artists clearly have a very deep understanding of culture and not just the stereotypes they have. This is very well done.”