Fall sports have a historic season for WA

James McDermott
Girls’ soccer huddles up before regular season matchup.

Every single fall sports team at Westford Academy has officially made the Massachusetts State Tournament in their respective sport. With the State Tournament season upon us for fall sports, WA teams have cemented Westford Academy’s name in every bracket there is. 

All across the board, there is a story behind each team and their success this season. 

Beginning with Girls’ Soccer, an up and down season that included battling multiple losing streaks came with its challenges, but winning back-to-back games to end the regular season earned them a spot in the State Tournament. As the 27 seed, they will take on Diman at 4 pm on Friday, Nov. 3 at WA. 

Boys’ Soccer also overcame the odds on their way to a tournament berth. A four game losing streak late in the regular season looked to crush any hopes WA had of making the State Tournament, but a three game win streak over multiple top teams in the state granted WA the 29 seed in the tournament. Boys’ Soccer will take on Boston Latin in a home game at 6:30 pm on the WA turf on Friday, Nov. 3.  

Field Hockey continued the trend of late season heroics for WA. Field Hockey was 6-8-1 with three games remaining in the regular season. Needing to get their record to .500 on the season, WA had little room for error. Going 2-0-1 and outsourcing their opponents 13-3 over that stretch clinched them the 26 seed in the tournament. Field Hockey will play against Central Catholic at 6 pm on Nov. 2 at Central Catholic High School. 

Football clocked in at 5-3 in the regular season, coming in second place in the DCL, and earning the 14 seed in the State Tournament. It had been an up and down season for the Ghosts before finishing the season strong, winning three out of their final four games. In Needham on Friday, Nov. 3 at 7 pm, WA will take on the Rockets in the first round. 

After an extremely successful season and cheering for the football team for the last eight weeks, WA Cheer will look to continue their success in the DCL Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 4 in Concord-Carlisle at 3 pm. 

Once again, Girls’ Volleyball came up clutch at the end of the season for WA, winning their final three matches in three sets each. As the 29 seed in the tournament, WA continued their hot streak, beating Everett 3-1 to advance to the second round. Up next for WA is an away match against Shrewsbury on Friday, Nov. 3 at 4 pm.

WA Golf proved to be a force this year, earning the title of DCL Champions after going undefeated in the DCL regular season. WA continued their success in the Central Massachusetts Sectionals, coming in second place in the match. Following their Sectional’s performance, WA came in fifth place overall in the state and was the second place public school. 

Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country both came in third place in the DCL, continuing their success year in and year out. Both teams will look to continue WA’s trend of success in their respective state meets.

WA Athletic Director Jeff Bunyon is very proud and excited for each WA team and all of the athletes after all of the work they put in throughout the fall season.

“I am very happy for all our WA Fall Student-Athletes,” Bunyon said. “This is a tribute to their dedication and commitment to their teams. Their hard work has paid off. Very well deserved.”