Boys’ soccer shuts down Waltham on senior night

WA+Boys+Soccer+huddles+one+last+time+before+their+senior+night+game+begins.+
Katie McDermott
WA Boys’ Soccer huddles one last time before their senior night game begins.

WA Boys’ Soccer pulled through with a 2-1 win for senior night on Thursday, Oct. 26 at home against Waltham. After a slow first half, WA stepped up in the second half to pull out the win.

Before the game began there was a ceremony to celebrate the seniors and their hard work and dedication throughout the years.

“Senior night means the four years that they have put into the program […] all the sweat, tears and hard times,” varsity head coach Jeff Lamy said. “It is a time to celebrate their four years of playing here at WA.”

The game started slow with neither team finding the back of the net. Both teams attempted shots in the first 20 minutes, but strong defense from both teams caused the score to remain 0-0.

Senior Brenton Halio, junior Kavi Soman and sophomore Srikar Navuduri all had some attempts to score, but Waltham kept up their very strong defense.

Waltham also struggled to get on the board as WA matched Waltham’s intensity on defense. Sophomore goalie Jack Bussey continued to stop anything that came close to the net.

Despite the slow offensive start in the first half, WA picked it up in the second half with senior Lucas Albuquerque scoring seven minutes into the period after a Waltham defender fell and gave Albuquerque an open shot.

WA kept up the strong offense with a couple great goal attempts from senior Ethan Goff-Chervin.

WA continued to increase their lead with 26 minutes left in the game as Soman had a headshot to score their second goal of the game.

Bussey continued to be a brick wall as Waltham took two more shots on goal with 10 minutes left in the game, and he stopped both.

Waltham did end up scoring with five minutes remaining, but WA did not back down on the defensive end to ensure they kept their lead and finished their senior night strong.

“[Senior night] was a surreal opportunity for all of us, the fans were an important part of our success and our experience,” junior Lucas Dos Santos said.

WA’s next game is away vs. Chelmsford on Monday, Oct. 30.