The vital role costumes play during Halloween

iStock
Costumes provide a role greater than spooking your friends.

This coming Halloween marks my last year trick-or-treating. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday, with overwhelming amounts of candy and carving jack-o’-lanterns, however, the most memorable part for me has been dressing up.

I’ve had a variety of costumes, ranging from video game characters to the classic toilet paper mummy. I plan to dress up as Walter White from the 2008 television series “Breaking Bad”. Yet, I will be the only one dressed up amongst my friends, who will trick-or-treat in grey sweatpants and hoodies. I believe that all participants should make an effort to dress up for Halloween.

Costumes originally played the role of warding away evil spirits during the Celtic festival of Samhain. On Sahmain, it was believed that evil spirits would wander around on Halloween night, so people would impersonate the dead to protect themselves. Often, these costumes would be made from animal hides and heads.

However, the meaning of wearing a costume has shifted to an expression of one’s creativity, expression, and imagination. Dressing up for Halloween allows one to take a break from their typical life, and step into a unique personality. This can be a break from stressful times, and an opportunity to express one’s unique interests. Halloween costumes can also foster conversations, and lead to new friendships and connections. The distinctive aspect of dressing up is great for delving into deeper connections with people.

It seems that the thrill of immersing oneself in another’s persona seems to be very unpopular among teenage trick-or-treaters. Many teenagers miss out on the opportunities to dress up because they simply view Halloween as an opportunity for free candy.

Those who enthusiastically participate during Halloween look forward to seeing trick-or-treaters in creative costumes, and the festive atmosphere is greatly dampened when one chooses to completely disregard the efforts people make to celebrate the holiday.

I believe that many underestimate the influence costumes hold during Halloween. It is without a doubt the most memorable facet of Halloween, and the holiday could be greatly enhanced if individuals were to keep in mind the negative effects associated with opting out of wearing a costume when trick-or-treating.