Soundbytes: What do WA students think about the 2024 eighth grade Washington D.C trip cancellation?

Students at Stony Brook and Blanchard Middle School recently found out that their 2024 eighth grade Washington D.C trip will be cancelled due to financial, logistical, and inclusivity concerns. The cancellation has inspired opinions on both ends of the spectrum amidst students and parents, with some pointing out the educational and social value of the trip, and others seeing benefit to alternate field trip options.

Although the overnight field trip has been a longstanding tradition, the vast majority of students at Westford Academy—including current seniors, juniors, and sophomores—were also not able to attend the trip during their eighth grade year due to a different reason: COVID restrictions. In fact, current freshmen were the first group of students to experience the trip since the pandemic. With these unique circumstances and perspectives in mind, the WA Ghostwriter asked students at WA about their thoughts on the Washington D.C trip and how they feel about the current cancellation for eighth graders.

To read more about the reasons behind the cancellation and the alternate options that will be explored, check out this article.