Khamitkar sprints to Williams College

Khamitkar will run indoor and outdoor track and field at Williams College next fall.
Provided by Devesh Khamitkar

Having the opportunity to play a sport in college is an amazing experience for any athlete. One must be incredibly hardworking and put in strong efforts to reach their goals. This is the case for WA Track and Field senior captain Devesh Khamitkar who recently committed to Williams College to run both indoor and outdoor track. 

Ever since the seventh grade, Khamitkar has run track and field. He has found success in events including the 4 by 100 meter relay and 100 meter dash, but especially the triple jump and long jump. Thriving in multiple events allows Khamitkar to be a well rounded athlete and major contributor to the WA Track and Field time over the course of his high school career.

Due to his outstanding performances as an athlete for the track team, Khamitkar realized that competing at the collegiate level was within the realm of possibilities. However, Khamitkar prioritizes his academics, and knew that he wanted to attend an academically prestigious institution. This is the reasoning behind Khamitkar’s commitment to Williams, as it provides both a high level of academics as well as a competitive track and field team. 

“I had a couple athletic offers and I’m pretty focused on my academics, and Williams was academically the best school of my choices,” Khamitkar said. “I visited the campus and talked to the coach, and it seemed like a really good fit for me.”

For track athletes, indoor track in the winter and outdoor track in the spring are both offered. At WA, Khamitkar participates in each of the seasons and will do the same at Williams come next year. The two seasons provide different benefits for Khamitkar. 

“I like running in warmer weather, so the spring season is a lot of fun,” Khamitkar said. “But indoor has shorter events, and I am a sprinter and jumper, so the shorter the distance the better. I like them both,” Khamitkar said. 

In high school, Khamitkar has placed well during DCL meets and has competed in various state competitions. In college, Khamitkar hopes to build off of these performances and take it to the next level. 

“At Williams I’d really like to compete at nationals,” Khamitkar said. 

Boys’ track and field head coach Philip Archambault praises Khamitkar for his hard work and his improvement throughout the years he has coached him. 

“Devesh is an outstanding young man and athlete. He is one of the hardest workers to grace our sport in a long time,” Archambault said. “He works tirelessly to fix the small imperfections in his mechanics which has led to great improvement in his times and jump distances. This focus is present in all he does both on and off the track.”

Archambault is someone who Devesh has looked up to throughout his track career at WA. The two of them have had a special connection and Archambault’s encouragement has allowed Khamitkar to be the athlete he is today. 

“I’ve always had a pretty special relationship with the head coach, so he’s been really supportive of me,” Khamitkar said. “If I have anything I need to ask him I can easily send him a text and he will respond almost immediately.”

Khamitkar’s overall character, academic drive, and athletic dedication are what make him beloved by his coaches and teammates, and are valuable assets that he will bring to Williams College.

“Williams college is getting an athlete that is just starting to really tap into his potential,” Archambault said. “They are getting a very talented athlete who truly knows how to bring out the best in himself and others.”