Upperclassmen Homecoming dance will dive ‘Under the Sea’

Jack Zwirn
Homecoming dance is on October 21st from 7-10 pm.

WA Student Council (STUCO) will be holding their second homecoming dance for juniors and seniors on Saturday, October 21 from 7-10 pm in the WA cafeteria after a successful renewal of the dance last fall. The theme will be ‘Under the Sea’.

Tickets for the dance will cost $15. Students can reserve their ticket through a google form that was sent out on October 2nd and can pay for them at lunch. The form is due on October 6th and payment is due on October 13th.

Last year, STUCO went with a Disco theme. This year they have switched gears to go into the depths of the ocean, and will fill the cafeteria with ocean themed decor come October 21.

This year’s homecoming will be for upperclassmen only due to issues with last year’s upperclassmen not being able to purchase tickets. There were only a certain amount of tickets available and if an underclassman beat an upperclassman to it, the upperclassman would miss out on one of their last opportunities to go to a high school dance. However, underclassmen will have a separate dance only for underclassmen on October 20th.

STUCO advisor Maggie Sulka is excited for the upcoming dance. According to Sulka, it will be a fun, inclusive event for upperclassmen. However, she believes there will be one main issue to work through.

“[We will need a lot of] stamina. STUCO will execute Spirit Week, Spirit Rally, the Tailgate, the Underclassmen dance and Homecoming in one week,” Sulka said.

Despite the large workload, STUCO is determined to get everything done well and to the best of their ability.

“WA’s student leaders are thoughtful, detail oriented, and well organized,” Sulka said. “We’re ready to embrace the challenge.”

Senior STUCO member Marisa Cline is on the planning committee for homecoming. She is excited for upperclassmen to have a dance that isn’t super formal like cotil or prom.

“It’s a good way for [juniors and seniors] to combine, and it’s a lot less stressful than other dances so [students] can just have a good time,” Cline said.