Sports Picks of the Week 4/12-4/19

By Sameer Kini
Sports Editor

This week, both national and WA sports have some great games to see. Here are my picks of the week.

National – NBA Playoffs. It is that time of year again, the NBA playoffs will be tipping off on Saturday the 16th, and most likely staying around until late May at least. Sixteen teams have already clinched their spots, and they will be put in a bracket to compete in series to crown a champion. The East looks to be filled with great matchups, as Chicago, Boston and Miami all have teams worthy of a championship. Many also look at the New York Knicks as a team that could be a dark horse in the East. As for the West, the Lakers are always a perennial contender, but will face tough competition from Dallas, San Antonio, and the young Thunder.

As for my picks, it is obviously very early to make a pick as we are basically a month and a half from the Finals. However, I will take a shot at picking the matchup in the Finals as well as the champion. The East for me is extremely tough to pick, as my heart says Celtics all the way, but I have to pick with my head here and go with the Chicago Bulls who appear unstoppable led by MVP favorite Derrick Rose. Out of the West, I am going to go with the upset and say that the Oklahoma City Thunder will be able to overcome the aging Spurs and weaker Lakers en route to a Finals appearance. As for the champion, I pick Chicago to take the crown in five games over the Thunder.

WA – Boys Baseball. This week the Boys Baseball team has two big home games, making them my pick to watch for the week. First up on Wednesday is DCL rival Concord-Carlisle. WA looks to pick up a big win in this matchup, and fans should head out to watch this matchup, which begins at four. Next on the slate is Waltham, who come to WA on Friday. This should prove to be a good matchup, rounding up what should be a good week for the Ghosts. I expect the baseball team to pull out both of these matchups, as the team appears to be very solid this year. Fans should go see the Grey Ghosts, as both games should be exciting matchups to watch.