Luke Fremault commits to St. Michael’s for lacrosse

Steve Kapetenakas

Luke Fremault during a Lacrosse game

Fares Osman, Opinions & Reviews Editor

Ever since he was young, senior Luke Fremault has always had a love for sports, trying out different things to see what he was fit for. But it was not until third grade that Fremault truly became interested in lacrosse. Many games and practices later throughout his elementary and middle school days influenced him to be the player he is today. After playing the sport all of high school, Fremault’s passion grew, which ultimately lead to his commitment to Saint Michael’s College.

According to Fremault, while he spent most of his childhood playing sports, as he grew older, he began to take these sports more seriously. He always tried working harder than the kid next to him because he knew that is what he needed to do to get to the next level. This is what motivated him to work hard and grow on the years of effort he put in.

“My biggest challenge in lacrosse was me being very good when I was little, but I didn’t put in any work outside of practice so when I got a little older and everyone had got just as good it taught me to work more off the field on my lacrosse skills,” Fremault said.

After years of practicing and playing lacrosse, Fremault received five offers to different schools but chose to attend Saint Michael’s. Fremault felt that   Michaels was different than all the other schools and was special in many ways.

“Saint Michael’s was an easy option for me because of how beautiful it is up there in Vermont. When I met the team and all the coaches I knew that it was the right place for me,” Fremault said.

Before he officially committed, Fremault had an overnight stay at Saint Michaels in order to see what it was like to go to a school in Vermont and be a part of the team. This allowed him to see that Saint Michael’s was clearly the right choice for him and his future.

“The kids there are very nice and down to earth, which usually you don’t see too much in lacrosse where there’s a lot of kids with very big egos,” Fremault said.

Although Fremault is a multi-sport athlete, he decided to play lacrosse after he lost interest in other sports, including baseball. He saw lacrosse as a more entertaining, exciting, and challenging sport on a mental and physical level than baseball. Football was another one of Fremault’s top sports is which he found interest in going to college for as an alternative if lacrosse did not work out. He has been playing football since he was five years old and believes that he would have made it far in college. However, Fremault loves to challenge himself and look for adventures so he decided to choose the sport he did.

“Lacrosse has taught me a lot about life, mainly through what I have learned from coaches and that not everything is just handed to you,” Fremault said,”You need to work for every little thing you want.”