Haggan to burst onto the scene at Bentley

Haggan+eludes+defenders+as+he+navigates+through+the+defense.+

Provided by: Matty Haggan

Haggan eludes defenders as he navigates through the defense.

James McDermott, Sports Editor

It is rare to see any eighth grader begin football for the sole purpose of playing at college. With less than a 7% chance of accomplishing that goal, it is a feat most athletes do not even attempt. However, for a select few, as they progress through their high school career, the possibility of playing collegiately becomes more realistic. Senior Matty Haggan is one of those athletes, accomplishing his goal of playing collegiate football on February 3, 2023 when he committed to Bentley University.

Like many athletes, Haggan did not begin playing with the expectation of playing past high school. In fact, the only reason he signed up is because his friend’s dad was the Pop Warner coach and he had wanted Haggan to play for years. In Haggan’s eighth grade year, his friend’s dad was finally able to convince his mom to let him play. 

The sport immediately became Haggan’s passion, peaking his interest early on. Although Haggan knew he wanted to continue playing, he also began to realize that his lack of experience was going to catch up with him if he did not start working hard. 

“My biggest challenge playing was probably not starting until eighth grade because I didn’t have as much experience or knowledge at that time compared to the other players,” Haggan said.

After his first season in eighth grade, Haggan had a complicated start to his high school career. As a freshman, he continued to begin his journey with the sport, playing for coach Todd McDonaugh with many of his eighth grade teammates.

After continuing to develop throughout his freshman year, COVID-19 shortened his sophomore season. During this time is when he realized he wanted to pursue football in college.

Haggan began working with Coach Will Croom during his sophomore year, helping Haggan improve and refine his game throughout the offseason. Haggan and Croom worked out a few times a week, focusing on footwork, explosiveness, and hand strength/control, which are all extremely important as a receiver.

Croom helped Haggan’s play rise to the level of a collegiate receiver, setting him up to be able to impress collegiate coaches at camps. Croom is a huge reason why Haggan was able to overcome his late start and eventually commit to Bentley.

“I knew I wanted to play in college sophomore year when I started working with Coach Croom and started going to camps and realized I had the talent to play in college,” Haggan said. “Without his coaching I definitely wouldn’t be the player I am today.”

After a breakout junior season, Haggan and Westford Academy had one last shot at a DCL title in his senior year. Haggan and WA got off to a great start to the season and never looked back. WA won the DCL title and Haggan was a huge reason for the success. Haggan was a top target in the receiving core all season long, and helped lead WA towards achieving the goal they had set at the beginning of the season.

“The WA team was so special because we set it as our goal to win the DCL at the beginning of the season and we had each other’s backs,” Haggan said. “We never gave up the whole way and it all paid off when we won it.”

While Haggan was absolutely an impact on the field, he was also a leader off the field. Between his role as a senior captain and his intense competitiveness, he was able to contribute to wins with and without the ball in his hands. According to WA Varsity Football Head Coach Bruce Rich, Haggan had a significant impact on WA team’s success in 2023.

“Matty was one of the hardest workers we had. He spent a lot of time in the off season lifting and working on his craft. What made him a special player is his speed and burst. When running routes he is able to create space between himself and the DB because he is so quick out of breaks. His speed allowed him to be a weapon in our screen game. A couple times last year he got a 1 yard pass and took it 50 yards for a touchdown,” Rich said. “He is a great teammate, and the players really looked up to him. Bentley got a great player and we will miss him.”

While working hard enough to become a collegiate level athlete is an accomplishment in itself, it is also just as important to find which school is the right fit. There are countless factors such as coaching staff, academics, campus life, team culture, and location, but Haggan had no doubt that Bentley was the place for him. 

“I knew Bentley was the place I wanted to be because right off the bat the coaches made their interest and commitment to me very clear, and because of their top-tier business program,” Haggan said. “I really look forward to growing as a player and competing at a very high level.”

In addition, Haggan is looking forward to being part of a football team for another four years because of the family they are always a part of. Haggan is also confident in his ability to balance the life of a student athlete.

“I’m excited for it. Being on the football team automatically gives you a group of friends that share your same interests,” Haggan said. “The football team also gives a lot of resources to use for academics to help you.”

Finally, Haggan has had several positive influences throughout his childhood and football career, and made sure to thank each one of them. 

“I credit Coach Croom for training with me through the off season and making me a better player, Coach Todd McDonaugh for sticking with us from freshman year to our senior year and always having our backs, and Coach Rich for giving me the opportunity as an underclassman,” Haggan said. “I also credit my parents and my sister, Callie, for their constant support. I wouldn’t have this opportunity without them. I would also like to thank my grandparents for always going to every game no matter how far and all of my teammates for always riding with me.”