Boys’ Tennis looks to continue success for 2022-23 season

Provided by Saunak Manna

The Boys’ Tennis Team poses for picture.

Aarush Adimulam, Staff Writer

The Boys’ Tennis Team is one of the many successful sports teams at WA. They finished last year with a 10-5 record and frequently dominated opponents. The team qualified and advanced in the State Tournament last year, but lost in the Round of 16 to Winchester. Led by junior captain Connor Liona and sophomore captain Saunak Manna, the team has the potential to make a run in the State Tournament this year.

“Last season we were a top 10 team in the state and I truly believe that we should win the state championship this year,” Manna said. 

However, with the loss of important seniors and leaders on the team, many underclassmen will need to fill important roles.

“I believe that the underclassmen will be able to fill the voids left by the upperclassmen and it is up to me and Connor to help fill the leadership roles that they left behind,” Manna said.

Games have a best of five outcome, in which there are two doubles matches and three singles matches. The singles consist of a partnership between Liona and Manna. However with the loss of essential senior Jai Krishnan Arun Rajhesh, and seniors competing in doubles, there is a lot of uncertainty regarding the team’s future. The team looks forward to the incoming underclassman including sophomore Yash Veerkar and freshman Finley Pacquette, to take on new responsibilities.

Confidence is no problem for the Ghosts. “I know that I and Connor Liona are the best number one and two singles partnership in the state and we both have the potential of going undefeated this season,” Manna said. 

The team is also expanding this season, with an influx of newcomers arriving. “[New players] have a positive effect on the team as there is a larger talent pool to fill up the varsity team and that means that there are also going to be good players on the JV team,” Manna said.

WA has high expectations, but with the guidance of Coach Patrick Claycomb the team believes there is no reason why they shouldn’t earn a state banner this season. Manna believes that with the team’s experience and leadership, they will play with energy and resilience, to ultimately win the State Tournament.

As a DCL All-Star, Manna hopes to continue the success he has had but also contribute to the team as an asset to contend in the DCL. 

“The bond of this year’s team is great as the energy and motivation is high,” Manna said. “We know how high our ceiling can be, so it is up to us to prove it by competing for ourselves and for each other on the court.”