Schwab dives head first into Providence College

The+boys+swim+team+poses+for+a+picture+with+their+coaches+after+the+state+championships.+

Provided by Quinn Schwab

The boys swim team poses for a picture with their coaches after the state championships.

Katie McDermott, Staff Writer

Finding a college can be one of the hardest things for a student to do. It can be even harder for athletes who want to pursue their career at the collegiate level. On October 8, 2022 senior boys’ swim captain Quinn Schwab made his commitment to Providence College. 

Schwab has been swimming since he was three years old. He started as a club swimmer at Chelmsford Swim and Tennis and then began high school swim in his freshman year. According to Schwab, swimming all these years has taught him a lot about how to enjoy doing what he loves now, before it quickly comes to an end. 

“In general, being a part of CS&T helped prepare me for being a part of the WA team. It helped me realize that the team as a whole is the most important part,” Schwab said.

Schwab has a very unique situation at Providence because both of his older brothers attend there. By the time he arrives there his oldest brother will have graduated, but being at college with even just one of his brothers will be a great experience. 

“I had schools reach out to me, and I reached out to a bunch of other schools too. But knowing my brothers love Providence, and being there often to visit them, it was a place that already felt like home before deciding to go there,” Schwab said. “When I took an official visit there, the team was extremely welcoming, and just made me feel like it was the right place for me.”

Schwab had a huge impact on the WA Boys Swim team this year as they won first place in the State Championship. He gave it everything he had and tried to make his team and his lifelong coaches proud. 

“Quinn has the ability to raise the bar, not only for himself, but also for his teammates,” WA Swim & Dive Coach Caitlin Klick-McHugh said. “Success breeds more success, and this domino effect is evident when Quinn is in the pool.” 

High school sports can cause a very different feeling for athletes as it can be a completely different experience compared to club. A lot of high school sports focus mostly on the team aspect whereas swimming club is a very individual sport. 

“At high school, the team is the most important. All I cared about in high school was beating the people I was racing, so I got the most points possible for my team,” Schwab said. 

Even though Schwab’s high school swimming career has come to an end, he is very excited to continue it at a college level for the next four years and fulfill the goals he has made for himself. 

“To be the best version of myself I can be, and hopefully help my teammates to do the same for them,” Schwab said. “And of course try my best to help my team do the best we can to win.”