Boys’ Basketball narrowly beats AB in first game of the season with score of 54-53


Saanvi Arora

Senior Jack Sullivan goes in for a layup.

Saanvi Arora, Staff Writer

On Friday, Dec. 16 the WA Ghosts narrowly beat Acton-Boxborough by one point with a final score of 54-53 at home. Throughout the entire game, the first WA Boys’ Basketball game of the 22-23 season against AB was neck and neck.

The seniors were vital to the success of the team, helping them make strong plays. 

“I’m really pleased with the seniors,” WA Boys Basketball head coach Chris Bramanti said. “[They] are really important to this team and I hope that they keep working as hard as they have been.”

From the start of the first quarter, both teams were going back and forth keeping the score well-matched the entire time. WA started the game off strong, staying close behind AB for the majority of the quarter. The quarter ended with a final score of 15-10 with AB in the lead. 

During the second quarter, WA experienced some setbacks. AB gained a strong lead as a result of WA’s offense and defense faltering. WA was unable to make effective defensive plays, resulting in AB maintaining their lead. However, after head coach Bramanti called a timeout, WA went back into the game revitalized. Seniors Justin Jones, Ben Jones, and Jack Sullivan made most of the shots aiding WA in catching up in primarily close range shots. The quarter ended with a final score of 31-28, AB still in the lead but WA close behind. 

Going into the second half, WA needed to have control of the game. The halftime break helped WA strategize and come back into the game stronger, because as soon as the third quarter began, WA was able to gain a lead and maintain it. 

With AB continuing their strong offensive plays, WA had to step up their defense in the third quarter, which they accomplished. Star players in this quarter were seniors Asa Geller, Sullivan, and sophomore Vishal Rampur. These players were able to make plays that increased WA’s score and maintained their lead. The final score of the third quarter was 45-39. 

In the fourth quarter, WA maintained their lead, but not easily. It was a back and forth game and after being saved by the clock, WA won with a final score of 54-53. 

This game was not an easy one for either team, especially shown in the several fouls and penalties made. Each team committed about 13 fouls each. However, these shots gave chances to increase the score. 

“The kids played hard and that’s all I was looking for,” Bramanti said. “There are definitely some things that we have to work on, but I was pleased with their resilience and their toughness.”

Their next game against Weston will take place on Wednesday, Dec. 21 at Weston High School at 7 p.m.