WA Boys’ Soccer sets their eyes on the season

Boys Soccer huddles up together.

Taken by Mackenzie Adam

Boys’ Soccer huddles up together.

James Farley, Co-Managing Editor

Players shouting encouragement, whistles blowing, and coaches calling plays fill the Trustees Field with noise. Under the bright lights in the brisk fall air, the team unites to pull out a victory. This is something the WA Boys’ Soccer team hopes to achieve frequently this fall.

After winning just seven games over the past two seasons, WA is setting its eyes on changing the narrative of the program. Led by senior captains Aidan Mahony, Roman Munichiello, and Justin Jones, the team has significant potential to make noise in the Dual County League (DCL).

“I believe we will do really well [this season],” Mahony said. “We have an all around balance and skill off the bench to bring us far.”

Playing in a competitive conference poses challenges for WA, as the team must compete against talented programs, including Concord-Carlisle, Lincoln-Sudbury, and Acton-Boxborough. Additionally, teams in the DCL tend to play a high press defense, potentially causing trouble for WA on the offensive end.

In order to combat these obstacles, WA must rely on the depth of its roster. WA has multiple returning players, as well as newcomers, who are expected to make an immediate difference on the field.

“There are so many players who can step up and make a big difference. Junior Lucas Albuquerque has started on the team since his freshman year and he will control the midfield. Roman Municello and Justin Jones hold the fort down in the back along with newcomer sophomore Alex Xiang who is an excellent player,” Mahony said. “Seiji Nakinishi who did not play last year has also joined us. He will make a big difference.”

With the personnel needed to achieve success, it is up to WA to follow through on their expectations headed into the year.

“In order for us to have a successful season this year it comes down to drive,” Munichiello said. “If the team pushes for the goal together, I have no doubt we can deliver.”

Commanding these players is second-year head coach Jeff Lamy. Since his arrival at the beginning of last season, boys soccer has been on the rise.

“[Lamy] has done a great job rebuilding the team after an extremely rough 2020 season,” Mahony said.

As a star player himself, Mahony plans to help his team with what he does best; putting the ball in the back of the net. Thanks to this valuable asset, WA hopes to contend for a DCL title, as well as a spot in the Massachusetts State Tournament.

“We want to win the DCL, but more importantly qualify and make a campaign in the state tournament,” Mahony said. “Last season we started off very strong and even led the DCL for a couple weeks before running into some complications. This season we have potential to go much further.”