Chaat Masala event to celebrate Indian culture

Pravar Mukkala

The Human Rights Club bulletin board advertises Chaat Masala.

Pravar Mukkala, Opinions Editor

WA’s Human Rights Club will be hosting an event called Chaat Masala at WA on May 13 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. This event will be a night filled with Indian food, music, and dancing. Tickets for students cost 20 dollars and tickets for the general public cost 25 dollars. All proceeds will be donated to the non-profit organization Saheli, a Boston-based organization that empowers and offers services to South Asian and Arab women and families who are domestic and sexual violence survivors.

The flyer for the Chaat Masala. (Pravar Mukkala)

Organizers of the event, junior Sanah Chatiwala and senior Manasvi lyengar, said that Chaat Masala will be held in order to celebrate Indian culture and raise money for Saheli.

“We’re going to have a speaker from Saheli come in and [give a] brief rundown on what Saheli is and what they do—” Chatiwala said. “—just to see if people are interested in donating.”

Chatiwala and Iyengar chose to hold the event to raise funds for Saheli because of the work they do and how important it is.

“There are a lot of cases where [Saheli] isn’t able to do as much as they’d like, but there’s a lot of good outcomes to where they’ve gone in, they’ve brought people here to the US or they have really made a significant impact,” Chatiwala said.

In addition to the fundraising aspect, Chaat Masala will have Indian music, both North and South Indian, and dancing. There will also be food from Priya Indian Cuisine. 

Chatiwala also hopes to have live dance performances, which people can sign up for on this Google Form. Tickets for the general event can be purchased during lunch in the cafeteria or using this link.

“We would really like a lot of students to show up. I feel like it’s a good way to get involved and it’s good [for diversity],” Chatiwala said.