Girls’ basketball season ends after loss against Bishop-Feehan

Anushka Patil, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In the Bishop-Feehan High School gymnasium on Tues., March 8, the WA Girls’ Basketball team put up an enormous fight, but ultimately, fell short; the Westford Academy team lost 42-51 against Bishop-Feehan, closing both the WA Girls’ Basketball season and their time competing within the State-level tournament.

From start to finish, WA kept up a strong front, with notable offense and defense from senior captain Carly Davey, senior Kate Barnes, junior Allison Mammola, and junior Alanna Saunders. WA ended the first quarter ahead of Bishop-Feehan 11-9, and then the second and third quarters slightly behind, 25-27 and 31-38, respectively. In the end, Bishop-Feehan managed to overcome their tough competitors and will be proceeding on within the tournament.

Reflecting on both the game and the season, Davey keeps only positive thoughts, as she remains proud of her team for always competing strongly.

“This is the farthest we’ve gone in the tournament in any year I’ve been here. We knew Feehan was going to be good, and they were. We just didn’t have enough to beat them,” Davey said. “A lot of people counted us out this season, but I think that what we’ve accomplished this winter shows that we can play with anyone.”

The team ends their 2021-22 season with a record of 14-7, wins to losses.