Hana Usmani takes art to the next level

Hana+Usmani+brings+art+into+WA++and+shares+it+with+others.+

Hana Usmani

Hana Usmani brings art into WA and shares it with others.

Mackenzie Adam, Staff Writer

Whether it’s abstract art with paint or it’s intricate, realistic art with colored pencils, junior Hana Usmani can do it all. Usmani brings her work to the national level time-and-time again and is awaiting her results for this year’s competition.

Usmani has shown an interest in art from a young age, starting with stick animals and humans. She progressed into cartoon styles in the fourth grade,  including humans with big, bright eyes and animals. After getting inspiration from other artists from other schools, she wanted to expand her artistic talent.

After seeking more inspiration, Usmani entered middle school with great talent. As she grew, her mind turned more analytical and saw the world as a reference. Usmani began realism, using the world around her as her palette. After satisfying her desire for realistic expression, she is now experimenting with multiple styles from realism to abstract art.

“I’m trying to move away from realism and try other styles to find my unique way of expressing my art,” Usmani said.

Usmani  has her art is hanging in the flag lobby and the front cover of the WA calendar.

She has recently found enjoyment in using paint and wants to explore what else she can use, including more complex use of pencils, colored pencils, and pastels. Experimenting expands her experience and gives her more opportunities to draw from new references.

“I find it very stress relieving and I thoroughly enjoy it because it’s something I’m confident in,” Usmani said. “I am very passionate about the art I do and love sharing it with others and it helps me grow as a person.”

Usmani struggled with confidence in some other subjects. Her passion for art allows her to prevail at fixing issues she encounters. Seeing other artists and seeing her family draw, she wants to continue.

She has been submitting her work to competitions since entering high school. In particular, freshman year of high school was full of new experiences, as she won gold in competitions and advanced to nationals. However, due to COVID-19, she was unable to attend. Usmani was thus unable to learn more about art through competitions in the past years, but she intends to continue her journey as COVID clears.

“This year though I am excited to see if my piece will go onto nationals but for now I am more than happy with what I have accomplished,” Usmani said.

Through all Usmani’s years of school, she has loved art, but she does not plan to pursue this as her profession, but she will continue this artistic talent for fun and relaxation.

Usmani hopes that everyone tries an art of thier own, no matter the style or the creation. Everyone has their own way of expressing creativity and Usmani hopes everyone finds that path.

“There are many other styles that I do take an interest in,” Usmani said. “because they’re all so diverse and creative that it just draws you in.”