Callaghan temporarily fills in for Fonden

Mrs. Callaghan

James McDermott

Mrs. Callaghan

James McDermott, Co- Sports Editor

Molly Callaghan has done something that not many other people have ever done, and that is return to teaching after a 14 year long absence from the profession.

Callaghan is currently filling in for English and journalism teacher Janet Fonden, and will be taking over for Fonden until around Valentine’s Day.

Callaghan is a former English teacher who loves teaching at the high school level and is very excited for this opportunity at WA.

“While I enjoyed working at the elementary school, I have delighted in working with high school students again. I have found WA students to be hard-working, inquisitive, personable, responsible, and polite, and I think discovering that is what I have enjoyed most, Callaghan said.

Callaghan has taught at virtually every level of school, ranging from elementary school all the way to high school. She has also had experience as a daily substitute, in addition to long-term teaching positions. 

After teaching for 14 years in multiple different school systems including Virginia, Oregon, and Maryland, Callaghan took a 14-year break from teaching to become a full-time mom. Towards the end of her break, Callaghan experimented with substituting from time to time, which helped her realize how much she missed teaching. 

“With my daughter starting at WA this year, I felt it was an opportunity to get back to the age group I loved teaching,” Callaghan said.

Callaghan also noted how much technology has advanced and become more present in classrooms since she last taught. 

“Technology has certainly come a long way since I last taught high school: computers used to be relegated to a room that all classes had to use instead of each student having their own Chromebook.  Phones are another ubiquitous device that I didn’t have to worry about 15 years ago,” Callaghan said.

Overall, Callaghan is thrilled about her opportunity at WA, and is looking forward to what lies ahead.

“What has been a pleasant surprise is that high school students seem to be the same, no matter how much time has passed,” Callaghan said.