Davey commits to Bowdoin for basketball

provided by Carly Davey

Senior Carly Davey charges down the court, controlling the ball.

Pravar Mukkala, Opinions Editor

Senior Carly Davey has verbally committed to Bowdoin College in Maine to play basketball.

“[Bowdoin] is an incredible college. […] It’s on the water in Maine and the basketball there is arguably the best Division III women’s basketball in the country,” Davey said. “They’ve been in the national championship game twice in the past four years they were in [the tournament].”

Davey is excited to attend, and after meeting the Bowdoin basketball team, she looks forward to joining them to play.

“I went on my official visit, and I met the team and I just loved all of them,” Davey said.

This time of year is relatively early to commit to a college, and Davey is aware of that. However, consistency with her basketball play over the years meant that she already knew what she was going to college for.

“I’ve been talking to coaches since the beginning of junior year. I’ve gone to all the places I’ve been recruited, so I’ve seen everything,” Davey said. “I just knew that I wanted [basketball] a little bit earlier.”

Davey cites her coach Russell Coward and her father as people who have pushed her and have had a large impact on her basketball career. Davey says that it was her father who got her into playing basketball, and that it was her coach and teammates who helped her become a good high school player to a great high school player.

“[Coward] pushes me a lot to get better […] recruiting-wise, he would talk to any coach I wanted,” Davey said.

Davey will go into this season without having played last year due to cancellations because of the pandemic, and she is looking forward to experiencing everything she loves about basketball for one last year as a high schooler.

“I’m really excited because now it’s been two years [since I’ve even practiced] in our own gym. […] I obviously missed all the practices and all the games and the competition aspect last year, but I also just miss being with my teammates,” Davey said.

Davey enjoys basketball because of how she can play with her teammates and how the sport itself is something you can always be improving.

Davey tries to get control of the ball. (provided by Carly Davey)

“I really like the challenge of it. There’s some that you can always be like working on, get better every day. […] It’s like [our team] can push each other to get better and do it every day,” Davey said.

Davey says that she’s learned many things by playing basketball her entire life, and is thankful for the skills, both athletic and academic, the sport has taught her.

“Hard work, determination, time management,” Davey said, listing off the things she has learned. “I’m not a procrastinator. I think that comes from basketball. […] I do have a busy schedule [because of basketball], and I don’t really have a choice [to put things off].”

Davey has three specific goals she wants to accomplish in her basketball-playing career. These include winning a national championship; being NESCAC defensive player of the year (NESNAC is the conference Davey will be playing in at Bowdoin); and lastly, making the Division III All-American team.

“[Basketball]’s a pretty self-motivating sport because all you need is a basketball and a hoop to get better,” Davey said.