National Honor Society needs your help

%28Left+to+right%29+NHS+President+Aaditi+Padhi%2C+Secretary+Davina+Finney%2C+and+Vice+President+Cole+Kirby+at+the+induction+ceremony+for+NHS.+

Provided by Aaditi Padhi

(Left to right) NHS President Aaditi Padhi, Secretary Davina Finney, and Vice President Cole Kirby at the induction ceremony for NHS.

Mackenzie Adam, Staff Writer

WA’s National Honor Society (NHS) will be hosting a fundraiser dedicated to sending care packages to WA Alumni in the military. Students and staff will be able to drop off donation items from Monday, Nov. 1 to Friday, Nov. 5 in the senior lobby.

NHS President Aaditi Padhi, Vice President Cole Kirby, and Secretary Davina Finney are running this event alongside their advisors Kathleen Aylward and Gilbert Fuhr. NHS hosts many events and fundraisers throughout the school year as a way to get students involved and show how they can help within their community.

Last year, Lillian Carter, Brian Klosterman, Christopher Owens, Asha Speller, Kishan Gorur, and Elliot Bradley graduated and are now serving in the military. Aylward hopes to help these WA Alumni through this project.

“We want them to know how proud of them we are and that they are in our thoughts back here in Westford,” Aylward said.

The fundraiser will be collecting items such as lip balm, toothbrushes, sunscreen, small prepackaged snacks (chips, nuts, etc.), and leisure items like playing cards, crossword books, SUDOKU books, and coloring books.

These items are recommended but any item that can be mailed to these alumni is appreciated. If there is a food of sorts, students and faculty are asked to make sure it doesn’t melt. If there are items that may be fragile then NHS asks people not to donate them. Anyone can donate including faculty and students.

They encourage students and faculty to reach out with any questions or concerns. In the future NHS is planning to host more events and get more students involved.

“We are also excited for our December event and look forward to sharing those details with you soon,” Aylward said.