Westford Academy routes Dracut on their way to 25-8 victory

Arnav Kumar, Ak Flixs, @ak.flixs on Instagram

WA Grey Ghosts celebrate their victory over Dracut.

James McDermott, Co-Sports Editor

WA football secured a 25-8 victory over Dracut on Friday, Sept. 10 on the Trustees Field. WA dominated all aspects of the game from start to finish, including three touchdowns from running back Anthony Rudiman, stifling defense, and phenomenal special teams play.

WA got off to a hot start to the game, putting together a long, impressive drive to begin the contest. Rudiman capped off the first drive of the game with a rushing touchdown to give WA an early 8-0 lead.

WA’s momentum continued throughout the first half, shutting down Dracut’s offense drive after drive. Then with Rudiman scoring another touchdown, the team put Dracut in a 15-0 hole. 

WA never looked back, continuing to play with vigorous intensity on both sides of the ball. An interception by Mikael Daluz took away any hope Dracut had of a comeback. WA’s defense continued to give Dracut’s offense very little breathing room as they went on to pitch a shutout until a late score on a deep pass by Dracut. 

“I feel good about the team—we have great senior leadership and there is a lot of positive energy every day,” Head Coach Bruce Rich said.

This high-level energy Coach Rich talked about was a major factor in the game. WA never stopped playing with a high level of intensity, which combined with upbeat style of play, helped WA control the game from start to finish.

On the defensive side of the ball, WA’s defensive line was suffocating all game, putting continuous pressure on Dracut’s offense. The line of scrimmage was dominated by WA, which greatly contributed to their 25-8 victory.

“I’m super excited for the rest of the season and ready for some good competition. [We can] hopefully win the DCL title,” Quarterback Jake Cullen said.

Westford Academy will look to start 2-0 this Friday, Sept. 17th at Billerica High School.