My quarantine experience

Penny Joyce, Staff Writer

provided by Pexels
We have to wear masks when we leave our home.

Something I wish I could’ve told myself two months ago is “appreciate going to school”. That’s something I never in a thousand years would’ve thought I’d say. For me, school was hard, getting up at 6:30 AM every day was not easy, but now just the idea of going to a place with hundreds of people there seems strange and almost scary. When we first had to start social distancing, I was sort of relieved. High school is very difficult socially and academically so, I really didn’t mind the break at all. However, it wasn’t until school was officially canceled for the year that it hit me: we have to get back to normal. 

Before quarantine started, I was hardly home because I was either working, at school, or with my friends. I hardly spoke to my family and couldn’t remember the last time I had a meal with them. Since quarantine started, though, I feel reconnected to them, granted my brothers have become increasingly more annoying every day. I’ve realized that I’m growing up and in a year I’ll be leaving them and going to college. It’s all-around a terrifying thought, but I’m now thankful for this time I have with my family. 

I think this quarantine has taken a toll on everyone in different ways. I spend a lot of time sitting outside in my backyard enjoying the nice weather. I have also started working again after taking about a month’s break. On my first day back as a cashier, I quickly realized nothing was the same as when I left. I wore a mask and gloves my entire shift and there was a giant piece of plexiglass between me and the customer. Everyone is on edge due to this pandemic, and it made me nervous to see an older couple walk into the store. They were very sweet people who bought a bird feeder and some seed and then left. This made me realize that even with all the social distancing rules, the world doesn’t stop. Life still has to go on and no matter how much people are told to stay inside humans need social interaction.   

I, of course, understand the scale of this disaster and I know it’s dangerous for people to be out even if they have no symptoms, but people need still be allowed to go on with life. I hope Westford and the world bounce back from this as soon as possible, and that college and high school seniors get graduation. I hope people who saved up for a trip this summer get to enjoy it, and I hope quarantine doesn’t hurt people’s mental health. I now know how lucky I am to have the friends and family that I do. I hope soon this is all a distant memory.