WA Boys’ Basketball wins hard fought game against Wayland

Srinithi Raj

A ball swishes through the hoop.

John Vassiliou, Online Managing Editor

On Tuesday, January 7, the Westford Academy Boys’ Varsity Basketball team played Wayland high school at WA. Through both halves where the game could have gone either way, WA managed to capitalize in the final period with a score of WA 62 -58.

The game began with Wayland getting possession of the ball. After their initial break out in the beginning of the period, WA began to respond. By the time the period had ended, WA managed to pull ahead, with the starting score settling at 17-15 in WA’s favor.

At the start of the second period, Wayland once again came out starting strong, eventually bottling WA up in their half of the court for the first few minutes. They then began to ratchet up basket after basket with few responses from the home team. With only four and a half minutes remaining, WA was down by two points, with Wayland leading them 21-23.

Though Wayland’s Defense had been strong, senior Aryah Purandare managed to break past them, tying the game once again at the four-minute mark. However, this would be the last basket WA would make before halftime. After a brief timeout called by Wayland; they immediately began to put the pressure on WA. By the end of the quarter, Wayland was up 31-23.

Though the first half had gone in Wayland’s favor, the second was just getting started. After a long back and forth between the two teams, junior Matthew Sepe was able to finally put more points up on the board for WA culminating into a score of 25-31. This was quickly followed up by senior Joshua Rosenstein, who scored two consecutive baskets, tying the game at 31-31.

However, Wayland refused to go down easy, responding with more baskets, which were met in kind by WA. By the end of the third period, both teams had tied 45-45.

The final period was by far the most exciting. After an entire game of Wayland taking the initiative and WA responding, the playing field finally seemed as though it had leveled out. Basket after basket was met in kind by the other team; throughout the entire period the back and forth was consistent.

However, by the end of the game, WA managed to push just a little harder, eventually ending the game with a final score of 62-58 WA.